Tee off time gaps

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to an ex captain today who mentioned he had played at Trump Aberdeen course last year. Couldn't speak high enough of the place. Said the tee off times were every 15 minutes, so there was no queuing. I was Suprised to hear that. At our place it is every 8 minutes, which I thought was the norm.
So what is the spacing on your courses tee off times.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
there doesn't seem to be any set standard, my place is every 10 minutes on comp days, I have played courses that have 9 minute intervals and others with 8 minute intervals.

personally I think 8 minutes are too close,

D

Deleted member 15344

8 min gaps are fine for 3 ball comps - plenty of time , 10 mins for 4BBB

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we don't have any tee times except for comps, and those are 10 minute gaps. I also think that 8 gets a bit close, especially if you're following a couple of short hitters, can make the first hole feel like an age while you've got someone behind thinking you're the snail.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think 8 mins is just too close together

Makes for 3 extra lots of people on the course every 2 hours.. wouldn’t be that bad to drop

Also tee times of 08:00,08:10 etc are so much better than 07:08 and so forth . Just annoying

D

Deleted member 15717

We are normally 10 minute intervals...but are trialling 8 minute intervals over the next few weeks in comps to see how it goes

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We used to be 8 minutes. But the fact that most of our comps are 4 balls, and there usually wasn't a starter so people tended to tee off early - we suffered me a lot of compression on the course and a lot of slow rounds.

Now we've changed to 9 minutes gaps, more frequent comps with a starter, and had the riot act read to us about not jumping the gun. Things are much better now.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
8 minutes on the clock but no one obeys such. You hot when its safe, even if early and even tho I understand that breaks the rules, Never been anywhere where someone checks the time before they tee of

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tee spacing should not be a fixed time but instead depends on several factors like typical group size, weather, course conditions, course design, av player ability, choke points (& their location on the course) format of play etc But I’m sure there are plenty that use a unit of distance rather than a unit of time i.e when the group in front have reached xyz point

Day to day most clubs will have a ‘norm’ for general play (the place local to me is 10 minutes) which will work for general play but spacing should at least be reviewed for other types of play even if it doesn’t change

I think it was the USGA that published the steps needed to survey a course to establish the correct spacing, interesting read if I recall and I wonder how many clubs did the survey before setting their spacing

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
10 minutes apart.
strictly adhered by myself.

We start on a par 3. Occasionally a group starting behind us likes to ask why we aren’t going when the green is clear. 🙄
Massive cause of slow backed up play teeing off willy nilly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It doesn't really matter if you're behind a slow group.
If its 8 minutes, you'll catch them up on the 2nd, 10 minutes you'll catch them up on the 3rd etc.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
10 minutes apart.
strictly adhered by myself.

We start on a par 3. Occasionally a group starting behind us likes to ask why we aren’t going when the green is clear. 🙄
Massive cause of slow backed up play teeing off willy nilly.
So the 2 ball match in front of you have cleared the hole and off to the 2nd, and you're going to wait the full 10 minutes with your 4 ball?