Tee height & ball position

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having bought a driver with 14 degree loft I was just wondering whether you should use slightly lower tees eg pink castle tees or the higher grey ones? Also does having more left affect where to position the ball for tee shots, ie more to the left or right?

DingleBerry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally i use the wooden 3 and 1/4 inch tees and make sure the ball is 1 ball size above my driver head! And half the size for my 3 wood!!And to the second part of your question i really don't understand it m8 soz!!

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sorry, should have checked my spelling! It was supposed to say: does having more loft affect where you position the ball in your stance (left or right)?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on your driver (not all drivers like being hit out of the top or bottom) and your swing. Try both and see how you go. (I chop and change from one to the other). If I use the Silver, I tend to make sure they are well pressed into the ground.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of the castle type tee's (Unless they are the tiny red ones for long irons). They tend to mark the face of the club.

Personally I have only a 1/4 of the ball above the top the driver, and with my woods I only just have it off the ground.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have used both the silver and pink tees and there is not just one answer all drivers have different depth faces and we all swing different. Try both and see what suits, don't listen to the only white wooden tee brigade there is nothing wrong with getting a consistent height, for me it's just one less thing to worry about.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I have only a 1/4 of the ball above the top the driver, and with my woods I only just have it off the ground.

I agree. 1/4-1/2 ball above for me, certainly no more.

I find 3 and 5 woods less easy to judge. Logical thinking says "if I can hit these clubs off the fairway, why tee it up at all?" but experience tells me up to 3/4cm (for me, 3 wood) seems to work AOK....but less for a 5 wood for sure.
I have some 5mm red tees which I use for 5 wood/3 rescue/4 iron tee shots.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i use white castle tees in normal condition, but when really windy into wind i use yellow castle. just practise with various heights it will be easy to determine which is best suited to you. castle tees rock :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own but I think that the higher you tee it up, the more likely you are to draw/hook it.

As for Dingle teeing the ball above the club head, I wonder what the top of his driver looks like. I think that the general wisdom for the driver is to tee up with the equator of the ball level with the top of the face of the driver and have the ball roughly in line with your leading foot. Hopefully you will catch it just on the up.

Having said all that, what do I know. See your Pro :D :D