Tee booking

D

Deleted member 15344

Thats fine, we all just queue up and exchange greetings and pleasantries.
We don't have hard times for any groups. It's relaxed and everyones equal.

So what’s different to your group just booking that time , turning up - have a chat and have a game of golf ?

Well apart from queuing?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what’s different to your group just booking that time , turning up - have a chat and have a game of golf ?

Well apart from queuing?
If you can't work out whats different then I cant help you.
It's an opinion I have, and I can't help it if it doesn't suit your agenda or ideas.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you can't work out whats different then I cant help you.
It's an opinion I have, and I can't help it if it doesn't suit your agenda or ideas.
I have been part of a club that has just rock up for the past decade until tee bookings had to be used for Covid - I see nothing majorly negatively different and it removes turning up and see 20 plus people waiting.

You stated that it was sterile with tee bookings but didn’t actually expand on that or clarify what you meant ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bunkermagnet

So if two 'groups' of 12 players turn up at 7.30 does one 'group' stand around until the other 'group' have all teed off?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
One reason some will have is that they don‘t mind grabbing a tea or coffee and maybe a breakfast roll and having a chat with other members - folks they are unlikely to meet up with outside of the golf. Having pre-booked tee times as well as randomly drawn groups significantly reduces that social element of membership. It is a really nice aspect of my club and the rollup that 20-30 guys gather and share a laugh as one before going out to play. Indeed it is the one thing that would have me voting against keeping tee booking once the necessity is removed.

Of course even with pre-drawn four balls and known tee times - any of the group who are so minded can always turn up at what would have been the normal ‘draw’ time (15mins before first tee time) for a chat even if their tee time is not for another hour or whatever.

You see, this is what I’m simply not getting about this argument - we do all of this despite having tee bookings.

Ironically, of the four clubs I have been a member at, my current one is the only one at which I have had to book tee times. It is also by far and away the most sociable of the four.

I’m still at a loss as to how having to book a time makes golf sterile, in any way, shape or form.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What if 2, 3, 4 Groups etc asked nicely to have one of their tee off times?

60 people for a roll-up is fantastic, probably spend a bit in the Clubhouse and Pro Shop and exactly why they should be given a block booking, it shouldn’t rely on their goodwill as to how many people they let push in.

If the Tee is booked, either join in or find another time.
I think the 60 member rollup might have their tee reservation split with a gap of a handful of tee times so that others not wanting to play in the rollup have a chance of getting a time. So in truth I suspect that it is rare for a member to try and play during one or other of the Thursday reserved periods and not be part of the rollup.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they apply pre season my club allow various sweeps/ groups to block book tee times midweek all year round. Pre season they can block book times on weekends.
No block bookings allowed on Saturdays during the season.

Mandofred

Visit site
Until they relax the Covid rules, roll-ups can't happen anyway. The club I just joined has a Senior team comp/roll-up/thingy this Thursday. Thursdays are a big day for the regular Senior roll-ups pre-Covid. I was the 63rd person entering with room for one more. The office will draw teams tomorrow and notify people of their start times.....with that block of times blocked off for this comp. Even though they kind of call it a roll-up comp....it's not....it's just a comp. If it was a "regular" roll-up and had 64 people showing up with draws at that time.....I wouldn't be there......the possible wait could be horrible.

Now....our previous roll-up....which could get up close to 30 people.....would send a couple of the last groups out on 17 since that was real close to the 1st tee. If there were 7 groups, by the time those groups played 17-18 it was about their turn on the 1st anyway. You couldn't do it if you played later in the day though.....there would already be people playing those holes as normal.

Now if I could just figure out where my swing went.....Played 5 times since re-opening (and 2 practices), I usually fix things decently by now.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe they should try this at The Open. All the pros turn up at 7, balls in a hat, have a blether and away you go.

At my old club they didn't bother with times and people just turned up. In the winter, there would be about 20 people standing in the dark in freezing conditions waiting to tee off. It was a farce.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Until they relax the Covid rules, roll-ups can't happen anyway. The club I just joined has a Senior team comp/roll-up/thingy this Thursday. Thursdays are a big day for the regular Senior roll-ups pre-Covid. I was the 63rd person entering with room for one more. The office will draw teams tomorrow and notify people of their start times.....with that block of times blocked off for this comp. Even though they kind of call it a roll-up comp....it's not....it's just a comp. If it was a "regular" roll-up and had 64 people showing up with draws at that time.....I wouldn't be there......the possible wait could be horrible.

Now....our previous roll-up....which could get up close to 30 people.....would send a couple of the last groups out on 17 since that was real close to the 1st tee. If there were 7 groups, by the time those groups played 17-18 it was about their turn on the 1st anyway. You couldn't do it if you played later in the day though.....there would already be people playing those holes as normal.

Now if I could just figure out where my swing went.....Played 5 times since re-opening (and 2 practices), I usually fix things decently by now.

Why do seniors get preferential treatment at golf clubs?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not just seniors, the ladies section last Tues had 84 spaces for their Tues comp, only 30 or so played, to make matters worse 6 or 7 groups won't play in the slots so book times after so they had from 7 till 11, just for them. the starter reported this back, so this week they have 56 spaces , but starting at 8, till 9.40 then the ones who won't play in the org group book times after so up till 10.30 , same on Thursdays.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe they should try this at The Open. All the pros turn up at 7, balls in a hat, have a blether and away you go.

At my old club they didn't bother with times and people just turned up. In the winter, there would be about 20 people standing in the dark in freezing conditions waiting to tee off. It was a farce.

Can have a chat, mooch about and just generally have a nice time in the minus 5 conditions. What golf is all about. No rush.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
not just seniors, the ladies section last Tues had 84 spaces for their Tues comp, only 30 or so played, to make matters worse 6 or 7 groups won't play in the slots so book times after so they had from 7 till 11, just for them. the starter reported this back, so this week they have 56 spaces , but starting at 8, till 9.40 then the ones who won't play in the org group book times after so up till 10.30 , same on Thursdays.
Been checking bookings sheet for today as it’s a nice day, my Mrs is working, and I can do the ironing this morning. As it’s Tuesday morning - it’s ladies. They don’t have any block tee reservation as numbers playing can vary hugely - but we all know the ladies play as a group Tuesday morning. And so today from 8:48 to 11:04 we have 17 tee times all four ball ladies and one ‘brave’ group of blokes at 9:20. There was nothing stopping gents booking this morning but in general we try to avoid doing so.

And I’ve joined a midday 3-ball to make a four ?

Mandofred

Visit site
Are there any comps at your course? Why should they get special treatment? Times for ladies? Junior tourney? There are all kinds of reasons that "some" people get special treatment. There is a Rabbit open next month at our place....is it fair that I can't play during that time? I'm fine with it, if I want to play that day I need to avoid that time. Simples.

I've said it before.....I'm saying it again.....membership clubs can run things the way they want to. If that means there is a time blocked out just for Seniors, that's the way it is. The course I've been on has a blocked out period every Tuesday morning from around 9-10:30 or so just for the ladies.....I can live with that. If you don't like the rules that a club has, or the way it is run in general, don't join. If you join a club knowing you don't like the rules.....not very smart.

I don't know the numbers, but I would tend to think the majority of the money that the club gets is from seniors.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I used to wander around in the evening and go for a few holes.

Sometimes I'd have to wait and on odd occasion the wait wasn't worth it - now I can check BRS and see that there are spaces, if there aren't it's not worth heading out - if there are spaces I can book as i go out the door and a five minutes walk later I'm on the tee with a guaranteed spot - what's not to like?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I used to wander around in the evening and go for a few holes.

Sometimes I'd have to wait and on odd occasion the wait wasn't worth it - now I can check BRS and see that there are spaces, if there aren't it's not worth heading out - if there are spaces I can book as i go out the door and a five minutes walk later I'm on the tee with a guaranteed spot - what's not to like?
also handy you can see if 47 Japanese/ Americans with caddies have gone out before you and not bother:LOL: