Team Captains

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst driving into work i was listening to Ian Wright on 5Live and he was stating how important a captain is in football compared to other sports - he was stating that they are extremely important and more so than other sports ?

This got me thinking about the role of a captain in various sports

Basically i believe that the role of captain within a football team is pretty much non critical - all the decisions and choices are made by the manager on the sideline

In rugby the captain has a more important role in terms of decisions made in regards penalties etc etc

In cricket - well they do the lot once the game starts

In golf we only have the Ryder Cup and those guys also do the lot in terms of decision making

I know Wright is extremely pro football and at times struggles to understand they have other sports in the world but is he right about a football captain ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure how much impact a captain makes. Most sides have a keeper that is effective of instructing the back line and sees the play developing and most have one stand out player (Keane, Terry, Gerrard, Robson, Adams) who have been the voice of the side on the pitch. That hasn't always been the one with the armband and as long as there's someone out there taking command I'd be happy

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't see his reasoning on a captain being more important in football.
However imo a captain is very important.
There was talk last year that Arsenal were missing a leader on the pitch,hence poor
form.
A good captain imo is a leader on and off the field.
He can take pressure off younger players,he can help and advise younger players.
He leads by example on the field,by talking,encouraging and doing things better than
others.
That doesn't mean he has to be the best player in the team but the best leader.
He has to be able to get the managers message across and drive the team on.
He has to be a leader when things are not going to plan.
There are so many times Roy Keane,Viera and Gerrard have got their teams through
on there own.
I believe a team will always be stronger with a strong captain.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Whilst driving into work i was listening to Ian Wright on 5Live and he was stating how important a captain is in football compared to other sports - he was stating that they are extremely important and more so than other sports ?

This got me thinking about the role of a captain in various sports

Basically i believe that the role of captain within a football team is pretty much non critical - all the decisions and choices are made by the manager on the sideline

In rugby the captain has a more important role in terms of decisions made in regards penalties etc etc

In cricket - well they do the lot once the game starts

In golf we only have the Ryder Cup and those guys also do the lot in terms of decision making

I know Wright is extremely pro football and at times struggles to understand they have other sports in the world but is he right about a football captain ?
Don't believe that their role is more important than others. Cricket being the main example as they're basically managers. But I would use Gerrard ad an example. Whilst I'm sure he'd still be Roy of the rovers without the armband. I sure he cherished the responsibility and it gives him and his team mates extra incentive.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yet another instance of Ian Wright talking ill informed twaddle.

Due to the dynamic nature of the game there are far fewer opportunities for captains to influence the outcome compared with their counterparts in other sports.

I do,however, appreciate that their personalities can have a motivational effect upon their team-mates.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't see his reasoning on a captain being more important in football.
However imo a captain is very important.
There was talk last year that Arsenal were missing a leader on the pitch,hence poor
form.
A good captain imo is a leader on and off the field.
He can take pressure off younger players,he can help and advise younger players.
He leads by example on the field,by talking,encouraging and doing things better than
others.
That doesn't mean he has to be the best player in the team but the best leader.
He has to be able to get the managers message across and drive the team on.
He has to be a leader when things are not going to plan.
There are so many times Roy Keane,Viera and Gerrard have got their teams through
on there own.
I believe a team will always be stronger with a strong captain.

Spot on!

One (more!) of the issues ManU currently has imo!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
TBH I think Gerrard is a great captain in terms of leading by example, but I thought he should have given out more "bollockings" and been more talkative. Carragher mainly did this over the last 6-7 years.