Taylormade SLDR fitting day

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got back late last night after a bit of a horror m25, m40, m42 and m6 journey in the pouring rain......was it worth it ??? ABSOLUTELY !!!!!

Having negotiated my way down the drive way, past the sublime properties, and past the first tee box of the Wentworth estate it became quite apparent that the place does not do things by halves. The whole place echo's grandure and it was even more impressive than what I remembered from a previous visit 5 years ago.

I made my way straight to the driving range where we all met in the reception area of the TM performance lab. There were lots of nice touches around such as Justin Roses's Putter, Retif Goosens driver etc that just added to the whole professionalism of the set up there. We were chewing the fat over clubs and our games when Tom from Taylormade came over and introduced himself. We were straight into the fitting and I was first up......

After and explanation of the SLDR and the technology incorporated into it Tom asked me about my current game and what my strengths and weaknesses are ? where my bad misses were with my driver? and then also about my current driver and how I have it set up. I've always been an OK driver of the ball. When its good , its good, but when its bad, i'm often stood on the tee now knowing where the heck its going to go.....this usually ends up with either a big block or a toey snap hook!!! I've always suffered from chopping and changing the driver far too often and i'm always in search of the perfect shaft and head combo. My current driver is a TM RBZ tour ( set to 12 degree) with custom Matrix 6 stiff shaft. I say custom, it was custom for the guy who I bought it off ebay. I explained this to Tom and he quickly (and impressively) spoke about the charachteristics of the shaft and explained how the kick-point shafts could be hindering (or helping) my driving.

I hit a few drives with my current driver and managed to get a couple of ok ones out there, but I also hit a couple of hooks. It was quickly apparent that the inconsistencies in my driving was due to the kickpoint of the shaft not being suited to my swing. I was carrying the ball 215 /225 yards and the launch angle was way too low. This surprised me as I always though I hit it further. Im not a big hitter, but I expected to see 240/250...ego slightly dented. We loaded up the SLDR with the stock shaft and I hit a few on the neutral weighting setting and 12 degree's of loft. It ballooned a little bit so Tom changed to an Aldila shaft which immidiately brought the flight lower. The difference between the two shocked me, the ball flight and spin rates really were night and day. However, the Aldila didnt feel too great and the launch angle was lower than what we needed. We then Moved to a Diamana shaft and the results improved immeasurabley. The launch angle and spin rates were on the money and my distance had improved an average of 20 yards to 235/245 yards. I thought i'd hit the jackpot at that point but , as with the everything about the facility and location, it wasn't perfect, so Tom said he wanted to try some more. We stuck with the Diamana shaft and went up and down in weight and switched between an x-flex and a stiff flex shaft. All the time the weight bar was at neutral and the loft at 12 degree's due to my ball flight being pretty straight and on a good trajectory. The results between the x-flex 70g shaft and the s flex 60 gram shaft were very similar but my dispersion with the s flex was slightly tighter so we decided to go with that, set at 12 degree's.....job done, and more interesting and fun than I ever could have imagined. I can safely say, my days of ebay driver purchases are over !!

The SLDR itself felt really solid to hit. The weight is moved forward in the head to help get the spin rate down and Tom was explaining that as a result of this most players are increasing the loft of the driver. Tom also explained how a lot of the tour players are hitting slightly descending in to out blows with the driver which is in contrast to what a lot of people here about hitting the ball on the 'upswing'. Incidently, I had earlier found out that I slightly hit down on the ball with an in to out swing too so that made me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. The key thing for me was how you always knew where the head was in the swing with the combo I had settled on. It felt heavier than other drivers that I'd tried, but easy and forgiving to hit. I mentioned this a few times during my jibbering videos piece. I was more nervous doing the video than hitting balls infront of a video camera and photographer and being.

It was great to meet Canary Yellow and Dufferman and i'm sure they enjoyed it as much as I did. Thanks once again to Paul and Neil from GM and to Tom and Jess from Taylormade, It was a proper Carlsberg day and one I wont forget !!!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great write up matey. Quite surprised by your distances though. I've seen you hit considerably further than that? Will you have it in the bag in York?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a Great day Pal :thup: I also thought you were originally longer than that off the Tee, Got me worried now as we hit it a similar distance, maybe I'm not as long as I think. :eek:

Did you tell them you've got a big weekend coming up and you need it ASAP :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

Excellent junior i wonder how long til it's in the spare club cupboard at home...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting post - to be flicking backwards and forwards to an x-flex shaft when you hit the ball 215-225 in the air is certainly unusual.

If your swing is in the 108 range then I'd suggest you could be looking at x-flex but if that's the case and you ARE close to 108 then I'm surprised you're not hitting further prior to your fitting. Did you happen to get your swing speed reading? (good write-up by the way) :thup:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting post - to be flicking backwards and forwards to an x-flex shaft when you hit the ball 215-225 in the air is certainly unusual.

If your swing is in the 108 range then I'd suggest you could be looking at x-flex but if that's the case and you ARE close to 108 then I'm surprised you're not hitting further prior to your fitting. Did you happen to get your swing speed reading? (good write-up by the way) :thup:

I know for a fact that Andy hits it further than 215. What balls were they using during the fitting?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I know for a fact that Andy hits it further than 215.

That's what I thought for them to even go near one.

You have to be able to load the shaft to make it worthwhile using, if you have a 'late hit' and load the shaft into impact then I can see it happening. My estimate is that you need a 105 swing to carry 245 with any regularity and can get the ball out to 260-265yds fairly often when you play (especially on a centered strike and a bit of roll).

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My current driver is a TM RBZ tour ( set to 12 degree) with custom Matrix 6 stiff shaft. I say custom, it was custom for the guy who I bought it off ebay. I explained this to Tom and he quickly (and impressively) spoke about the charachteristics of the shaft and explained how the kick-point shafts could be hindering (or helping) my driving.

I hit a few drives with my current driver and managed to get a couple of ok ones out there, but I also hit a couple of hooks. It was quickly apparent that the inconsistencies in my driving was due to the kickpoint of the shaft not being suited to my swing. I was carrying the ball 215 /225 yards and the launch angle was way too low. This surprised me as I always though I hit it further. Im not a big hitter, but I expected to see 240/250...ego slightly dented. We loaded up the SLDR with the stock shaft and I hit a few on the neutral weighting setting and 12 degree's of loft. It ballooned a little bit so Tom changed to an Aldila shaft which immidiately brought the flight lower. The difference between the two shocked me, the ball flight and spin rates really were night and day. However, the Aldila didnt feel too great and the launch angle was lower than what we needed. We then Moved to a Diamana shaft and the results improved immeasurabley. The launch angle and spin rates were on the money and my distance had improved an average of 20 yards to 235/245 yards. I thought i'd hit the jackpot at that point but , as with the everything about the facility and location, it wasn't perfect, so Tom said he wanted to try some more. We stuck with the Diamana shaft and went up and down in weight and switched between an x-flex and a stiff flex shaft. All the time the weight bar was at neutral and the loft at 12 degree's due to my ball flight being pretty straight and on a good trajectory. The results between the x-flex 70g shaft and the s flex 60 gram shaft were very similar but my dispersion with the s flex was slightly tighter so we decided to go with that, set at 12 degree's.....job done, and more interesting and fun than I ever could have imagined. I can safely say, my days of ebay driver purchases are over !!

The SLDR itself felt really solid to hit. The weight is moved forward in the head to help get the spin rate down and Tom was explaining that as a result of this most players are increasing the loft of the driver. Tom also explained how a lot of the tour players are hitting slightly descending in to out blows with the driver which is in contrast to what a lot of people here about hitting the ball on the 'upswing'. Incidently, I had earlier found out that I slightly hit down on the ball with an in to out swing too so that made me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. The key thing for me was how you always knew where the head was in the swing with the combo I had settled on. It felt heavier than other drivers that I'd tried, but easy and forgiving to hit. I mentioned this a few times during my jibbering videos piece. I was more nervous doing the video than hitting balls infront of a video camera and photographer and being.

Great read that mate, I have similar driver to you, but its the TP version with Regular Rocketballz Matrix HD6. I've had my swing speed measured and told that I'm a "regular" so I've just bought all my clubs off the shelf. I've been in the same boat as you in that I had no idea where my drives were going, made some changes and really slowed down the swing to get control - it now goes down the middle most times but I'm lucky to get 200 yards so something isn't right and people have mentioned the kickpoint to me. If you've set the RBZ to 12 degree's, I assume its a 10.5 adjusted, doesn't that give you a closed face on the RBZ series, I think it's 0.75 Degrees for every degree of loft? - Was that mentioned? Does the SLDR have a neutral face setting? It's fascinating to hear about Tour players hitting slightly descending in to out blows.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Andy does hit it further than that too but that is just the carry figure isnt it?

Total distance is obviously more?

Either way this one goes further with better disperson so doesnt really matter :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's fascinating to hear about Tour players hitting slightly descending in to out blows.

I'm sure I can turn that into a boring conversation and make you (and most others) lose interest almost immediately!!!!

However your fitter was correct, the average attack angle for tour players is -1.5 degrees DOWN, they tend not to lean back and fall off the shot as an amateur would, PLUS they have the swing speed to get the ball out there at 290yds without having to hit up on it. Many pros however DO hit up on the ball as the -1.5 figure is only an 'average'... some hit more down than that and some hit a lot more up,... so don't suddenly start thinking you have to hit down if it doesn't suit YOUR swing.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure I can turn that into a boring conversation and make you (and most others) lose interest almost immediately!!!!

However your fitter was correct, the average attack angle for tour players is -1.5 degrees DOWN, they tend not to lean back and fall off the shot as an amateur would, PLUS they have the swing speed to get the ball out there at 290yds without having to hit up on it. Many pros however DO hit up on the ball as the -1.5 figure is only an 'average'... some hit more down than that and some hit a lot more up,... so don't suddenly start thinking you have to hit down if it doesn't suit YOUR swing.

I was thinking the opposite in that I suspect my natural swing with woods is more of a hit down. My Pro says that I have a tendancy to be too steep, I assume that means a steeper angle of attack and more of a hit down. Strangely I think this actually helps me to hit shorter clubs, but I tend to take a divot with my Fairway woods and can struggle to get the ball launched with my driver if I don't concentrate and get my weight shift right at address.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was thinking the opposite in that I suspect my natural swing with woods is more of a hit down. My Pro says that I have a tendancy to be too steep, I assume that means a steeper angle of attack and more of a hit down. Strangely I think this actually helps me to hit shorter clubs, but I tend to take a divot with my Fairway woods and can struggle to get the ball launched with my driver if I don't concentrate and get my weight shift right at address.

You wouldn't want to be toooooo steep with your driver, you can't address it like you would an 8-iron as YES you'd likely be too steep and therefore have poor launch characteristics.

IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT,.. stand further away from the ball with your driver with a wider stance (and moderate knee bend to keep yourself able to turn thru the shot) and you'll automatically be making the swing plane a little flatter and therefore less steep.... all you have to do then is get yourself to a stage whereby you can hit it from this new postion :p

Last edited:

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You wouldn't want to be toooooo steep with your driver, you can't address it like you would an 8-iron as YES you'd likely be too steep and therefore have poor launch characteristics.

IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT,.. stand further away from the ball with your driver with a wider stance (and moderate knee bend to keep yourself able to turn thru the shot) and you'll automatically be making the swing plane a little flatter and therefore less steep.... all you have to do then is get yourself to a stage whereby you can hit it from this new postion :p

Cheers...and also remember not to thrash at it! ;)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great write up matey. Quite surprised by your distances though. I've seen you hit considerably further than that? Will you have it in the bag in York?

I was too mate, Hopefully it was the range balls ;) . Unfortunately I wont have it for York as it takes a couple of weeks for them to process the order.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting it was mostly shaft related and not head stuff. Was all the day shaft tweaking?

When I hit it well I dont really move the ball much in the air mate. Tom therefore saw no need to adjust the draw/fade bias. Its detail like this that stand out. It would have been easy for him to tweak it as I did hit a couple of pulls, but as they were not the norm , he thought it best to leave it.