TaylorMade RBZ damage - anyone seen anything like this?

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
After a few unusually errant distributions using my 3 wood the other day, I glanced down at the face (as does every golfer when they've hit a bad shot, desperately looking to apportion blame) and was greeted with the sight of a concave face on the club (as below). Has anyone seen anything like this before? The club is only 10 months old and has probably hit no more than 150 balls. It is on its way back to American Golf today but my club pro indicated this is something he has never, in all his years, seen before.

CGH571FWkAAmcDR.jpg

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
After a few unusually errant distributions using my 3 wood the other day, I glanced down at the face (as does every golfer when they've hit a bad shot, desperately looking to apportion blame) and was greeted with the sight of a concave face on the club (as below). Has anyone seen anything like this before? The club is only 10 months old and has probably hit no more than 150 balls. It is on its way back to American Golf today but my club pro indicated this is something he has never, in all his years, seen before.

CGH571FWkAAmcDR.jpg
Thank god I'm not the only one. I noticed a little dent in mine after a couple of months but couldn't be bothered to take it back as there was no loss in performance. I really should take it back. Rbz stage 2 3 wood

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talking to the Calaway tour truck there are always more issues with 3 woods than drivers because they are built as hot as possible when the drivers are MOI limited and built to a specification.

DCB

Visit site
Been a few years since I've seen one like that. It used to be quite common when thinner, hotter faces were starting out. Call away had issues with this long time back. Not seen a TM with it since the R5 driver about ten years ago. Thin face can't take the pressure.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting to note comments so thanks all for feeding in.

Owing to a hectic weekend I haven't had chance to take it back to AG - that will happen this week - but I expect no problems under TM's warranty after only ten months.

Out of interest, has anyone any experience of how long TM take to repair/replace a club? I have two corporate golf days coming up in mid-June and would very much like something between the driver and 4i!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont think they can repair that!

3woods do have thinner faces but dam. What balls have you been using? Cheap donnays or dunlops or something?

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, has anyone any experience of how long TM take to repair/replace a club? I have two corporate golf days coming up in mid-June and would very much like something between the driver and 4i!

Not with TM, but I took a broken ping shaft in under warranty to AG and it took a just over a week, maybe nearly two. It took a little longer than they estimated. It might be an idea that once it's confirmed that TM will send a new one through to just ask AG to give you a new one off the shelf (assuming they have one) and just keep the replacement TM send through... That's what I did with my driver shaft in the end, although I needed to push a little.

D

Deleted member 16999

Interesting to note comments so thanks all for feeding in.

Owing to a hectic weekend I haven't had chance to take it back to AG - that will happen this week - but I expect no problems under TM's warranty after only ten months.

Ask in shop if possible to borrow a replacement while your's away (any brand) sometimes staff will help if they can.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm actually surprised you said it was from AG, I thought you'd been fleeced by a rip off copy. That's poor especially as TM aren't cheap and apparently a premium brand.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont think they can repair that!

3woods do have thinner faces but dam. What balls have you been using? Cheap donnays or dunlops or something?
Srixon AD333s, Strata Jets and a few Titleist Pro V1s on golf days. The Jets are hard but even so...
I'm actually surprised you said it was from AG, I thought you'd been fleeced by a rip off copy. That's poor especially as TM aren't cheap and apparently a premium brand.
Indeed. I would expect it of a Dunlop or such but not a £119 TaylorMade.

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site

CGH571FWkAAmcDR.jpg

Same thing happened to my Callaway Hot X 3W a few years ago. Took it back and got it exchanged. Made in China I'm guessing.