Taylormade R7 to upgrade or not to upgrade.

Elcounto

Visit site
Hi,

My name is Phil and I'm new to this forum, thought I'd say hello and ask a quick question. Has anyone upgraded from the standard R7 to the R11 and what type of improvements did they see if any? I was wondering if I should believe the hype of gaining 20 odd yards and increased accuracy with the new technology or better spending 300 of my hard earned pounds on something else. My driver swing speed is in the region of 110mph so I don’t struggle for distance and if I do miss the fairway it’s generally to the left. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Cant speak for R7 or R11 perfermance but i think some of the R7 models no longer conform with the R&A rules.
Yours might be okay (or you dont care) but might be worth looking into it

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi phil! My advice would be, if your r7 works, stick with it! There are some bargains out there on the r11 now the r11s is out. Why not take your r7 to a shop and hit them both back to back? If it does give you 30 yards and good accuracy, then it's shopping time!

Welcome to the forum!

A

Alex1975

Welcome.

The only way to find out is to go and get fitted on a Trackman and look at the numbers for both, if you dont then it is as you say all just hype! The shaft will be the major factor for you. How much spin, what launch angle and then how to get your spin up or down. The head will have a factor too of course.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome !! Maybe try and look for a bargain. I played with a guy the other week who had an R9 and he hit it further than I go on holiday !!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i play an R7 aswell but couldnt bring myself to love a white driver. this on the other hand is beautiful. where did it all go wrong taylormade?

TaylorMade%20R7%20CGB%20Max.jpg

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The R7 was/is a fine driver,I don't think you'll eek out anymore yards with an off the shelf R11.The only way to maxamise your yardage off the tee is to go and get custom fit,but why limit yourself to one brand? Go try a few drivers and find the one you like the best and get custom fit for it,if there is no noticable improvement then stick with what you got.

Elcounto

Visit site
Thanks for all the info guys. The reason I'm thinking of upgrading is because I purchase a Taylor Made Burner (the previous non white version) 3 wood at the end of last season. It imminently added 20/30 yards over my old Adams Tight lines 3 wood. If I get the same type of gains by updating my driver it would be worth it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've still got an R7 Limited which is a lovely looking driver. I use the TM 08 Burner and to be honest having tried the R11 nad the Superfast Burner last year when they came out, neither really out performed what I already had. I'll look at the RBZ and see if that does anything (TM demo day in two weeks - come on!) but I won't be in a hurry to change.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say the Biggest Improvement, or difference, would be Forgiveness, with the Bigger headed more Modern Taylormade
But for those that prefer the smaller head, the Original R7 was as good as ANYTHING out there when it was Launched
But best go try, see for yourself, and if u like what u see, go get Fitted
Good Luck..........and Welcome to the Forum :)