Taking shelter from rain

Swango1980

Visit site
So they have withdrawn from the comp on the day, then booked to play later after the comp, and thus they are not in the comp? It might not be ideal but they could have withdrawn for any amount of reasons then claimed they were ok to play. If there is space for them to play what’s to stop them?
Perhaps I just don’t understand the need to punish someone that enters a voluntary comp for not playing, unless it is of course a regular happening.
I think there is confusion still. They withdrew from comp, so the bit that is clear is that they withdrew from their scheduled tee time. However, the bit I'm unsure about is that, when they decided to play later, were they playing a social round, or did they still submit their score as part of the competition? Hopefully 3offTheTee can clarify that, unless I missed it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For clarification. There was a Junior Comp @9 a.m. today with 6 groups going out in 3’s. The weather was poor. One lad withdrew and added his time around 1.5 hours later with another competitor when the weather was expected to improve. This was outside the competitions scheduled time. If it had been within the scheduled time would it have made any difference?

If there is an official start sheet with their names on it and they failed to start at that time (or within 5 minutes of that time) it is DQ unless a member of the competition committee has authorised a change of time.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per Jim8flog's answer. You can't just arbitrarily select your own start time if one has been allocated already.

If you are due to start at, say, 9:10 then that's the time you start. If you withdraw, or otherwise don't start (within the 5 min) then that's it. If you withdraw, then you've withdrawn so technically you can't be DQ. But if you tried to play, say, an hour and a half later, then you haven't withdraw , but you are starting ouside the allowable 5 minutes of your scheduled tee time, so will (or should be) DQ. (If the organising committee (whoever 'they' may be) have sanctioned the change, then it would be ok though). You could withdraw & play socially later though.

As some have said though, some clubs might have their own internal rules about late withdrawals - such as barring entry for a set number of future comps. Usually in place at clubs where there's frequently more people wanting to enter than there are places available

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think there is confusion still. They withdrew from comp, so the bit that is clear is that they withdrew from their scheduled tee time. However, the bit I'm unsure about is that, when they decided to play later, were they playing a social round, or did they still submit their score as part of the competition? Hopefully 3offTheTee can clarify that, unless I missed it
S1980

Sorry for the delay in replying but the results have just been published. The guy who played later did NOT play in The Comp. my mistake. The reason I thought he may was at 17 he has just gone to +1 and told me the other week he would not go out in wet/ windy weather as he did not want to lose .1!

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been reading through all this, what happens when / if you stop in a halfway hut for a sandwich and coffee. Is this allowed and not classed as delaying play?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Not a big competition man myself, a seniors stableford couple times a month, but I would have thought the O P scenario was not so much about causing a delay in play for those behind ( though it might), but more the advantage to be gained( scoring wise) by teeing off under the more favourable conditions that are being waited for?
I find the likelihood of hitting as good a tee shot in heavy rain, as opposed to in none, extremely unlikely.
Making a worse shot in heavy rain is really on the cards.
Isn't this the real reason for the rule?
If you were on the course playing socially who could possibly object to someone sheltering from heavy downpour? If someone is that masochistic to want to play on through you, then by all means you should let them.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
And what if you were coming up to the halfway hut and had no intention of stopping but then it started to rain so you changed your mind.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been reading through all this, what happens when / if you stop in a halfway hut for a sandwich and coffee. Is this allowed and not classed as delaying play?
This is what the book says.

Examples of actions that are likely to be treated as reasonable are:
  • Briefly stopping by the clubhouse or half-way house to get food or drink.
Examples of actions that, if causing more than a brief delay in play, are likely to be treated as unreasonable delay are:
  • Stopping by the clubhouse or half-way house to get food or drink for more than a few minutes if the Committee has not allowed for it.
Note the underlined words. The RBs have changed their view since 2018 when stopping for refreshment for an extended period was forbidden.