taking relief

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
cant find a definitive answer on this one

a right handed golfer approaches his ball but cant play it as its right up against a tree. however, he could play the shot left handed so decides to. on taking his stance the golfer says '' I'm now on the cart path and so entitled to relief '' the player takes relief.
with relief taken the golfer can now play his shot right handed and does so.

surely this cant happen? this cost us the match.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
cant find a definitive answer on this one.

24-2b/17

Q.A right-handed player's ball is so close to a boundary fence on the left of a hole that the player, in order to play towards the hole, must play left-handed. In making a left-handed stroke, the player's backswing would be interfered with by an immovable obstruction. Is the player entitled to relief from the obstruction?

A.The player is entitled to relief since use of an abnormal (left-handed) stroke is reasonable in the circumstances - see Exception under Rule 24-2b.

The proper procedure is for the player to take relief for a left-handed stroke in accordance with Rule 24-2b(i).

The player may then use a normal right-handed swing for his next stroke. If the obstruction interferes with the swing or stance for the right-handed stroke, the player may take relief for the right-handed stroke in accordance with Rule 24-2b(i).

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always like to think these are the breaks that balance out those situations when you get penalised even though, as they say, "you gained no advantage", or you hit a perfect drive and then have to play from a divot.!:)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always like to think these are the breaks that balance out those situations when you get penalised even though, as they say, "you gained no advantage", or you hit a perfect drive and then have to play from a divot.!:)
Playing from a divot is not too bad as the ball is probably teed up. It's playing from a divot hole that is more difficult ;)