taking golf clubs on a plane.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, in 2 and a half weeks myself and 5 others are travelling to portugal to play at the o connor and faldo courses (my first golfing experience abroad). 3 of the group are hiring clubs out there as they play with clubs from off the shelf, but the 2 others and myself have all been custom fit so would prefer to take our own.

I went to book and realised it was going to be £100 each and we dont fancy paying that. Would it be possible to fit 3 sets of clubs between 2 travel cases? Do they go on number of clubs or weight? The only answer i could find was an American site which said they count the clubs but im sure over here its done on weight.

Preferably we would like to have 2 sets in one case and one set on their own as i travel 3 days before the rest with my family and would like my clubs on me to hit the range. We will be buying balls out there and wearing our spikeless shoes on the plane to save weight and only need to take 2 carry bags as we already have one out there at my uncles villa.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times.

Many thanks, tom.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Who are you flying with?
BA charge for an extra bag up to 23kg, which is not enough allowance for 2 sets of clubs.
However, with BA, you get to check in a 23kg bag, plus have another cabin size bag up to 23kg and a laptop bag.

Much as you'd like your own clubs, I can't help thinking it'll be cheaper to hit from somewhere like clubstohire.com.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If you go World Traveller Plus or higher with BA then you get 2 x 23kg checked baggage; I've never had a problem swapping one of those out for a set of clubs. Possibly not applicable for Portugal but worth knowing if you are going further afield.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you're going Ryanair, I'll be amazed if you get away with two sets in one case!
But for luck, and I hope you find a way round it - nothing like having your own clubs abroad.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got a hard case a while back, it needs to be taped up and have 3 case straps as a minimum to hold it together (only one of the locks works now) but it does the job.

Ive only used it 3 maybe 4 times but it has been worth it. Until the day it gives up. Costs me about £3 in tape just to be sure it isnt going to burst open! Still thats as cheap as getting a case wrapped in plastic at the airport in those silly machines.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ryanair max weight is 20kg and this can be strictly enforced depending on the mood of the check-in agent.

If you only need two bags when you get there, just split one of your mates sets across your bag and the other mates bag, should come in under 20kg if your bags not full of other stuff and means youwill have your set complete for when you get there.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's done on weight, but 2 small carry bags with all your clubs should definitely fit. The last 2 years we've paid for 2 travel bags and taken 4 sets of clubs, and been absolutely fine.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Merv79 and I got away with 2 carry bags in one case when we flew with FlyBe to Belfast.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Go to Portugal loads Infact there right now and always get 2 full sets within the 20kg limit of squeeze jet and Ryan air skinny golf bags help as well. If you need a trolley whilst here see Fary at the golf shack nr Faldo course who has a 3 wheel trolley mini version of the click gear at 12 euros for the week

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Rusty, heyup me man. just got back from playing in the algarve week last Sunday.

Flew with Ryanair and it is £50 each way to take a golf bag. Tashyboy had loaded up with all sorts of bits and bobs in his cart bag and it came to 15kg max goin out and a bit more coming back as I put a couple of bottles of plonk in there. You are allowed 20 kg max with your golf baggage so in theory you would be able to get a couple of sets in a golf bag. Whether you would get 2 x carry bags in a golf travel bag I am not sure.

played the royal and ocean course at Vale de Lobo and they were good. Purely by accident I had a drive to Silves and Monchique and stumbled across the Faldo and O,Connor courses. they look Stunning and I mean stunning.

Now then, I asked at the reception which covers both courses re Twilight prices which someone had tipped me off about (after midday), and the prices plummet. In essence if you can book over the internet there or get an agent to book it for you, that is when you will get it at its cheapest.

for your info, I am looking on a leaflet I picked up whilst there. Buggies are 40-50 euro per round but cheaper after 12.00. Rental sets of clubs are 30 euro for 2/3 rounds.

have a look on the oceanico website.

lastly I was chuffed to bits playing the courses I played and was on a right downer when I saw these two after, especially when they were cheaper to play. However I have consoled myself that these are the next two courses I will play when we go back as Missis Tash is adamant we will.

enjoy you jammy sod. An hope it helps. If there owt else you need to know ask away.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you delboy and tashyboy.

We have got a deal with yourgolftravel for unlimited golf and buggy hire is inclusive with package but thank you for all the information. We will be splitting 3 bags between 2 so should be plenty of room.

Im glad you had a good time and that you thought the courses were stunning. I cant wait!

What a great forum, this was my first post and the reception has been great.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Happy days - weather should be bang on in the next couple of weeks. Are you playing anywhere else apart from Faldo and O'Connor defo need a buggy round Faldo

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, just them 2. Im sure we will be back again next yea. Long range forcast looks good but their about as reliable as my old moped i had growing up. Being relatively new and playing off 23 i cant wait for the challenge, especially considering im really grooving my swing at the moment and playing well. Shot level handicap in tough medal conditions around my club course and finished 5th.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am sure you will enjoy it. Just don't get drawn in by the water hazards. If your swinging well play your normal game. My first round was with three scotish colonial cousins and I played really well shooting 35 points and sinking a 25 footer on last hole to halve the game. Oppo missed a 10fter for a birdie to win it.
played second game with three Germans and I was dire. Me head went, but I played some shots Tiger would of died for 12 months ago. but had a fantastic time.
deffo need, hat, sun cream, water and buy yer flippin snickers or snacks for course over here, cost a fortune over there.

Never did did find out what Four right in Portugese is 😳