Taking a divot after the ball

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I feel my golf swing has changed over the past year
I’m no longer taking a divot after the ball, just barely brushing the grass. Without seeing my pro am I swinging too far behind my body and not coming down steep enough?
My misses are to the right (lefty)
Any ideas guys

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Without a vid, it's impossible to really tell.
But swinging too far behind your body would, imo, more likely create excessively deep divots than none at all.
Your Pro, with knowledge of your particular swing attributes, might be able to make a diagnosis without the need to actually see your swing in action - though that's always preferable.
Edit. It also depends on what (and when/where in the swing) you mean by 'behind my body'. My 1st thought was that it was in the downswing (body getting ahead of arms) but, on reflection, if it's in the backswing, then that could, indeed. produce a flatter through-swing and give the effects you note.
Was that something your Pro observed and corrected a year ago?

Last edited:

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, it’s just dawned on me when I miss to the right thinking it was my set up or club face slightly closed
I can usually work problems out but this one has gradually crept in

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might be swinging a bit flat around your body.
This will shallow your arc and close the face ,depending on your ball position.
Check your shaft position at the top in patio doors.
Then see your teacher!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No, it’s just dawned on me when I miss to the right thinking it was my set up or the club face slightly closed
I can usually work problems out but this one has gradually crept in
If it's going right, that surely isn't the (fundamental) problem! Unless, of course, you are a lefty!