Takeaway straight or arc

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going through period of trying to change a few things for more consistent striking
I'm experimenting with the start of my back swing going straight back, even having the feeling of going outside the line and getting straighter shots and a more of a solid strike, also the down swing is more shallow as I'm getting less thin shots
Am I compensating for something in my shoulder, torso or hip turn or is this a normal method of takeaway?

Thoughts please

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No sorry One P. Don't get video'd these days. I am a senior golfer if this explains toying with my swing

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Very much a feel vs. real candidate.

I know for myself I can feel way outside and actually still be a little inside, just not as much as usual.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well in my mind I see the golf swing as an arc, so can't understand why anyone would want to take the club back straight !
This is merely my observation and it may confuse matters, however as you turn, shoulders, chest and hips naturally turn so why fight that with your arms ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First thing to say is that if it's working, keep on doing it.

I know there is a drill where you put a block of wood behind the club and try to push it back straight on the takeaway. Even if you're too far outside I think that's less destructive than being too far inside.

Here's an often used pic to show the club/hand/arm position when the club is parallel to the ground. A lot of people have the club behind them at this point.

ld.jpg

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watch the following videos:

1. Jim Furyk swing
2. David Leadbetter's "A Swing"
3. Stack and tilt swing
4. Rory McIlroy swing
5. Hogan 'takeaway'

Then forget about them all.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going through period of trying to change a few things for more consistent striking
I'm experimenting with the start of my back swing going straight back, even having the feeling of going outside the line and getting straighter shots and a more of a solid strike, also the down swing is more shallow as I'm getting less thin shots
Am I compensating for something in my shoulder, torso or hip turn or is this a normal method of takeaway?

Thoughts please

If your taking the club head straight back, once you add shoulder turn you will likely start to bring the club up and inside, but I guess with the straight back feeling you are hitting the right sequence.......as opposed to whipping it on the inside from the start then coming over the top.

Either way, if its working good on ya, stick with it !!!

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeh will stick with it. One thing I didn't mention was that my arms & shoulders turn first (keeping the Y) with everything else static until my hands are past my rear thigh then the hips turn, then a full (for me) shoulder turn, so the swing will I guess will be an arc
I reckon in the past I've been taking the club behind me too soon, so my new takeaway seems like I'm going outside the target line. Strange game!

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good pic, he's def not going inside too early. Cheers
First thing to say is that if it's working, keep on doing it.

I know there is a drill where you put a block of wood behind the club and try to push it back straight on the takeaway. Even if you're too far outside I think that's less destructive than being too far inside.

Here's an often used pic to show the club/hand/arm position when the club is parallel to the ground. A lot of people have the club behind them at this point.

View attachment 18940

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Thoughts please

Many years of doing this led me to develop a swing that was grooved and good and solid - but a fraction away from a swing that made me shank every shot other than my woods and putter. And I know it was only a fraction away because my swing fell out of the groove and I shanked every iron shot. And so on the verge of throwing in the golfing towel I went for a lesson - and the pro spotted my 'take-away outside of the line' immediatley as the cause of my constant shank. If you want to run that risk then go ahead with your experiment - however...