Take a guess

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had similar conditions with 170 entries just past. Breaking net par were 23 players. I thought that was a lot but it was beautiful conditions, conducive for good golf.

I'm going to guess 37

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
A winner:thup:

The only golfer to break handicap was a plus 1 player, who eagled our last hole, par 4 for two under (three under gross) Not a bad way to win a competition. One player was level handicap. Played the course today, same tees, pin positions, and it was not tricked up. Perhaps the heat got to everyone, but just shows that hard fast course, with drives going miles is not necessarily easier.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
A winner:thup:

The only golfer to break handicap was a plus 1 player, who eagled our last hole, par 4 for two under (three under gross) Not a bad way to win a competition. One player was level handicap. Played the course today, same tees, pin positions, and it was not tricked up. Perhaps the heat got to everyone, but just shows that hard fast course, with drives going miles is not necessarily easier.

Must say I’m very surprised, we’re seeing totally the opposite.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must say I’m very surprised, we’re seeing totally the opposite.

Interesting, as our place appears to have the same trend as Blackmoor.

Results not published yet but the Medal at the weekend will have had just over a hundred entries - and from what l know of the scores l saw, l doubt there'll more than a handful below par. The July Medal, in similar conditions, had 90 entries with just two under par.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Interesting, as our place appears to have the same trend as Blackmoor.

Results not published yet but the Medal at the weekend will have had just over a hundred entries - and from what l know of the scores l saw, l doubt there'll more than a handful below par. The July Medal, in similar conditions, had 90 entries with just two under par.

150 entries in Saturdays August Medal. 40 Under the par 73 forcing the css down to 72, 10 we’re under 70 😳

Par 5’s that are usually a good 3 shots to the green are gettable in 2 currently, never seen that before.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
150 entries in Saturdays August Medal. 40 Under the par 73 forcing the css down to 72, 10 we’re under 70 😳

Par 5’s that are usually a good 3 shots to the green are gettable in 2 currently, never seen that before.

Big wide straightish fairways will mean low scores. Fairways with bends in them, so you can't see where the hell your ball has boinged off to NR'S EVERYWHERE !!!!

D

Deleted member 17920

Think ours has played slightly harder for most given the firm conditions but some of our winning scores have been incredible this year, I haven't seen many nett 65's before but we have had a few this year.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot of courses have conflicting conditions right now...

Those that usually have their greens firm and challenging have been watering to keep alive with increased cut heights. Net effect is relatively easy holding with relatively easy paced (many find slow).
Some have very mixed growth just off the green fringes which is A significant challenge to those just missing the greens - but irrelevant to those that hit them!
Fairways, as already posted, may be a huge plus, mixed or evil blessings depending on course length and layout.
Rough (if you can find any!) may be an issue because it's not there to stop balls heading for greater perils, or it's absence makes the course significantly easier.

Slightly strangely I've seen a slight shift in match scores this season with significantly lower home advantage. I can only believe this is because people's natural inclinations in playing their own course are preventing them taking full advantage of the opportunities that the course conditions provide.
Don't know if others have observed this?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Big wide straightish fairways will mean low scores. Fairways with bends in them, so you can't see where the hell your ball has boinged off to NR'S EVERYWHERE !!!!

Well we’re the latter so that blows that theory.

D

Deleted member 16999

Our Club Champs on Sunday had only 2 sub par gross rounds and 39 sub par nett rounds, CSS went up 2 shots, equivalent to 38 pts.

D

Deleted member 3432

Most likely explanation is that the people playing are not adapting their game to the conditions, ie playing brain dead golf in a lot of cases.

I know at my own course Silloth, it has been playing so fast and bouncy that you can hit the ball way too far off the tee. Thinking about club selection is the key rather than just pulling driver because you always hit driver on a particular hole.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the problems may be around the green. If you are long on our holes you are very unlikely to get up and down. Short and bunkers are a good miss.

I think heathland courses are playing harder as the ball only has to just roll off the fairway, and you are in the heather with possible a wedge back out. Miss a green by a few feet, and again you can easily roll into trouble. Also my course is tough, par 69, with only two par fives, and five par threes. SSS went up to 72 for medal.

Still surprised by scoring bearing in mind many comments from forumers that their courses were playing easier.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think the problems may be around the green. If you are long on our holes you are very unlikely to get up and down. Short and bunkers are a good miss.

I think heathland courses are playing harder as the ball only has to just roll off the fairway, and you are in the heather with possible a wedge back out. Miss a green by a few feet, and again you can easily roll into trouble. Also my course is tough, par 69, with only two par fives, and five par threes. SSS went up to 72 for medal.

Still surprised by scoring bearing in mind many comments from forumers that their courses were playing easier.

We finally got round to playing Blackmoor last week using our discounted green fee members at West Byfleet get. £15 is an absolute steal! The course was in great shape, greens were fantastic and the par 3s are awesome. There was literally 1 shot on the whole course that I didnt like.
I personally thought it edged The Berkshire Blue from the previous week.

I was playing awful but Sam went round in 37 points I think so I am surprised only 1 in the whole medal broke net par!

We will be down again very soon!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We finally got round to playing Blackmoor last week using our discounted green fee members at West Byfleet get. £15 is an absolute steal! The course was in great shape, greens were fantastic and the par 3s are awesome. There was literally 1 shot on the whole course that I didnt like.
I personally thought it edged The Berkshire Blue from the previous week.

I was playing awful but Sam went round in 37 points I think so I am surprised only 1 in the whole medal broke net par!

We will be down again very soon!

I would invite you for a game, but guest rate is £30 !:D If you are playing again and are one short let me know.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Weekend of low scoring in our medal. Course fiery but they have been sensible and cut back some of the knee high cabbage to make it easier to find a ball. Greens were quick. Never really in the mix and chucked my customary car crash hole in for good measure. Having played Blackmoor I can see how the current conditions would make it a tough prospect and it definitely doesn't need to be tricked up to be difficult although I am amazed at the answer