Switching to midsize grips

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When I got my new irons and driver a few months back I went from standard size to standard +3 wraps.
Other clubs - wedges, fairways etc are still standard.
If I'm brutally honest, I can't really feel any difference.......

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let us know how you get on with the new grips Sean :thup:

Yes will do James.

They came through the post Saturday and I will put on a couple of irons today. Visiting a customer and playing somewhere in Hull tomorrow late afternoon so will get to test then. I'm playing well at the moment so it will be interesting to see the impact of the midsize grip albeit only on 2 irons and the putter to start with!!

Thanks for the input everybody.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The current set up on my irons is .580 grip on a .600 shaft

I've ordered a couple of sample golf pride midsize grips - only 1 size option on Gamola .600

A tad confusing.:confused:

If that's your current set up, your grips will be slightly oversize but not a full midsize, so it won't be a huge leap.

8 layers? I think it's more like five, as, IIRC, Mizuno offer a maximum of 4 layers under grip in their custom programme.

Let us know how you get on, as I'm waiting for my selection to arrive to try.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If that's your current set up, your grips will be slightly oversize but not a full midsize, so it won't be a huge leap.

8 layers? I think it's more like five, as, IIRC, Mizuno offer a maximum of 4 layers under grip in their custom programme.

Let us know how you get on, as I'm waiting for my selection to arrive to try.

Correct. About 1/16th or 1/32 oversize depending on the grip IIRC.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You know what they say about a man who needs midsize grips ...

Yeah I was considering Jumbo at first :lol:

Joking aside the experiment with the midsize on just a couple of irons went well so I'll be re-gripping the whole set this week. There is no way I will get a golf pride tour velvet midsize grip on my TM woods so I might have to settle for just adding 2-3 more wraps to the standard TM grip for these.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have slightly non-tapered grips on my bats, meaning there's 1/2 extra layers under the right hand. Prefer it this way, as before the grip felt too thin in my right hand fingers.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have slightly non-tapered grips on my bats, meaning there's 1/2 extra layers under the right hand. Prefer it this way, as before the grip felt too thin in my right hand fingers.

Sounds like a Lamkin 3gen kind of grip(?).

I used to have them on my MP32's and the reduced taper was nice :thup:

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tried midsize grips for a while ( Ping website recommends Standard +2 wraps for my hand size) but they didn't seem to benefit me, plus its an absolute pain in the arse having to re-grip everything.