Switching from right-handed to left-handed (and vice versa)

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Inspired by a video I saw on Facebook put up by the PGA Tour. They got right-handed pro CT Pan to play a par 4 hole live left-handed and people had to predict how he'd do. After being permitted a Mulligan for a wayward tee shot, he scored a double bogey.

It got me thinking - how would us mere mortals fare if we had to do the same?

Completely unrealistic scenario I realise, so this is just for fun. But if someone told you you could never play golf again unless you switched hands, how do you think you'd get on? Assuming you practiced and played as much as you do right now, how long do you think it would take you to get to your current standard? Or do you think it simply isn't possible?

I'm an early to mid-20s handicapper (don't have an official one). Currently, I'm lucky to play a round once a month. I do my best to get to the range once a week though. On that basis, I reckon it would take me at least one year to get to the standard I am at now. Or probably longer - I'm likely being hopelessly optimistic! It probably isn't possible in my case! :D:D:D

As said, just for fun!

D

Deleted member 18121

I honestly think I'd struggle to make contact with the ball....I'm historically awful at using my left hand or left foot/leg for anything. I'd easily make a FAIL compilation.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I doubt if get to where I am now but mid teens wouldn't be unreachable for me.
When I played cricket and we were playing out for a draw, I'd bat left handed - only shot I could play was a millimetre perfect forward defence, but you weren't going to get me out!
If needed on the course, I can and have played left handed shots. Obviously not as good as right hand but if I practiced enough I could still be better than Fragger:rofl::whoo:!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Probably cut my handicap by half within 12 months and add distance through the bag!

Seriously, I'm so right side dominant that if i could only play left handed I'd have no issues with weight transfer etc that blights me just now, so once I got used to the change it might be a good thing ;)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can putt left handed without problems. The rest of my game, nah. I'd have to take up another sport.

This

Can putt OK left handed already but getting the ball to the green would be a different proposition
Seriously doubt I'd even get to a 28 h/c, especially if I could only 'practice and play as much as I do now'

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is the way we stand determined to be right handed or left handed?

I am left handed, but I play golf "right handed", I also bat right handed when playing cricket.

However, why is being right handed for golf, actually right handed? I feel like I swing with my left arm and control the club face with my left wrist. The arc of the a right handed golf swing, is the left arm.

My personal view is it's just what you get used to. I don't think being left hand dominant or right hand dominant really matters which ever way round you stand.

As for the question, I don't think I'd be able to hit the ball....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if I played left-handed for the next decade I wouldn't even reach the (low) standard I'm at now. Would be terrible.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why is the way we stand determined to be right handed or left handed?

I am left handed, but I play golf "right handed", I also bat right handed when playing cricket.

However, why is being right handed for golf, actually right handed? I feel like I swing with my left arm and control the club face with my left wrist. The arc of the a right handed golf swing, is the left arm.

My personal view is it's just what you get used to. I don't think being left hand dominant or right hand dominant really matters which ever way round you stand.

As for the question, I don't think I'd be able to hit the ball....

I think if I'd have always played left handed instead of right handed I'd probably by now still be at a similar level

But to change now after years and years wiuld be very difficult, especially given the parameters set in the OP

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think if I'd have always played left handed instead of right handed I'd probably by now still be at a similar level

But to change now after years and years wiuld be very difficult, especially given the parameters set in the OP

I agree, I'd be in the same position

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
im left handed but like canary i play right handed,i have played a few shots with left handed clubs and although it felt totally unnatural for me i did manage to hit the ball reasonably well after a few minutes of just swinging the club and not hitting any balls.
chap at my club did actually swap hands ,he played off 16 right handed and got to 12 left handed.
so it can be done.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A guy i used to know made the change after falling off a roof, and damaging his back. His handicap went from around 10, to 18 at his best left handed.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure. Considered swapping to left handed and starting from the beginning when my right handed swing was in such a mess I didn't think I could get it back.

I can play quite well one handed :) Often chip and putt that way when i'm bored. Does that count. :clap:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would struggle to make a 28 handicap. I can putt left handed, with a right handed grip but would struggle with full shots. Just looking down the shaft of a left handed club is difficult, and a left handed grip feels awful.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny one this as i'm left handed but play right handed, have never tried left handed. When i started had to borrow clubs and borrowed right handed clubs.

Like canary I do feel my left hand controls my swing a lot, I have suffered with a lowish ball flight due to getting hands ahead of the ball, I often feel this is because my left hand dominates and pulls the club through.

If I tried now i'm sure I would struggle

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I do everything left handed apart from golf. Used to bat left handed &, having seen some horrendous "cricket" golf swings I'm glad I decided to do golf right handed. I took up golf as a 10 year old & tried it both ways. I can't remember but I think I played right handed eventually just because second hand right handed clubs were easier to find, complete with hickory shafts & leather grips.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most would be able to practice to a degree of competence.

I can hit shots better with a reversed club (toe down) the other way than I can with a proper club the other hand!

There remains a degree of hit and miss as always 😎

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m often tempted to give it a go on the course just to see - when I have a practice swing with a lefties club I always think I’m in better positions than I get to right handed!