Switch to Nike One Platinum ?

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently using the NXT Tour as a cheap all round ball, but with the firm greens i play on, finding it really hard to get much, if any stop on the greens, with these two piece low compression balls.

Had a look around, and the Nike One Platinum seems to look like a more promising ball (without going top end Pro V1 etc)

Anyone used these balls on firm greens ? How did you find they performed ? Any other recommendations ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I doubt if you will find much difference, if any to be honest.
Our greens are very firm at the moment and I am using either Srixon "Soft Feel", Srixon "Z-Stars", Bridgestone "Tour B330.S" as well as the Titleist "NXT Extreme" (always like to carry a choice in the bag!} :D :D :D
I find hardly any difference at all.
If I had to choose one out of all of them though, it would be the Srixon "Soft Feels"..
I dunno what it is, apparantly they are a bit shorter off the tee (although I have never really noticed this) but I just prefer the feel of them off the putter.
But not one of them will hold our hard greens any better than the other to be honest.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You must hit it like a woman Smiffy as those Soft Feels are way too soft for anyone who hits it properly....I thought they felt great but found that as they were so soft the distance control/consistency was far too diverse to be able to use them.....

Nike One Platinum are very good - nice and soft, spin nice and don't mark up too bad...If there good enough for TW then that's okay for me!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I found them to scuff up quite quickly. They're decent balls - you won't go far wrong with them but I find they are very easy to lose!!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been using the One Vapor off and on. Great ball, superb distance (like, really exceptional) and good feel.

As soft as a pro V....um....no!

As good at stopping as Wilson Staff Px3 or Tx4...no.

Maybe try them, what have you got to lose? I don't know how much the Platinum is, and maybe it's an old ball? could be good value.

I'm not a big Nike fan, but I've used a very old ball (feel/speed) and the Vapors.....both excellent, although not the same type of ball i.m.o.

My preferred ball a.t.m. (if not using Pro V) is the Wilson Px3, but I could see why a lot of folk won't like the look of it.

- - - - -

f.w.i.w. the ONLY golf ball I've ever taken total exception to was the Srixon green....I'd rather play with sports world top flites (and have done!)
Silly ball....horribly short of the long clubs and seemingly no zip at all.
I LOVE the Z-star though....wow....just too pricey for me (more than Pro V 1 around here).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I quite like the One platinum and think its a good ball. Nice solid feel off the putter but with good driver length and reasonable stopping power on the green I prefer the TM TP black personally but the Nike offers a decent ball for the money and I've seen a few good deals on the platinum now Nike are rebranding their ball range

Robokolo

Club Champion
Visit site
Just a comment on the titleist when you hit them what you feel is the soft cover of the ball and not the core.

Most people play titleists beacuse they think they are soft and offer loads of spin. However you need a swing speed of in excess of 105 mph to even compress them to make spin, so thats why professionals use them (and why amatuers shouldnt)

Lots of people just by for the logo or the brand. Try some lesser known brands to get a greater spectrum of results.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most people play titleists beacuse they think they are soft and offer loads of spin. However you need a swing speed of in excess of 105 mph to even compress them to make spin, so thats why professionals use them (and why amatuers shouldnt)

I think you are getting a little ahead of things suggesting that the Pro V is only for swing speeds over 105.
To the best of my knowledge, there are 2 Pro V balls, and the Pro V 1X is the ball for higher speeds.
I've used both, I bought a dozen Pro V 1s and found a brand new Pro V 1X in the rough by the second green (it seemed brand new).

There's no problem at all to my mind with the Pro V (new). Good ball, good distance and a dream to putt and chip with. My speed is 95 mph, if the 1X is for 105+ then surely the regular one is OK for an amateur to use.

Incidentally, although the 1X sounds good off the big clubs, it certainly doesn't go that far for me.....I get much better distance with the Nike Vapor.....

B

birdieman

ProV1's have mental spin off vokey wedges with half swings as Bob says. Spin more than any other ball I've used, sometimes so much so that they're not my ball of choice.

The ProV1 is a soft ball, people don't realise that it's got a compression of about 90. You don't need a fast swing to make it work.

According to titleist compression across their golf balls are -

Pro V1...84 to 96
Pro V1x...95 to 105
NXT...66 to 72
NXT Tour...76 to 82
DT So/Lo...66 to 74