Swing warm up

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a poor round today. I’ve noticed that in places I’ve visited with a practice net a few swings in the net before a round I do a little better because I’ve got a better feel for my swing. To a lesser extent, sometimes just swinging the club to get a feel can help somewhat. My usual place has no practice net or area. So usually I just go in cold and it’s sods law if I’ll have ‘the feel’ that day or not.

Anything you guys do that gets you a good feel for your swing prior to a round? Do you have specific drills you do to get everything synced up?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
For home games, the range is right at the first tee....sorted.

Away can be down to stretching only, after which you are down to the usual trunk rotation and your transition move.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends. At the moment I play in a roll up that draws the ball at 7.45 and goes out at 8.00 at weekends so it's too dark to hit too many balls (if any) before I need to be there to put my ball in. As a result I try and rush out, irrespective of what group number I'm drawn in and grab one of the nets to hit some shots.

If I'm out later in a comp I'll get a bucket of balls from the pro. I'll do my stretching with my theraband, have some swings to loosen up and then start hitting a few half wedges. I'll usually start to work up through the bag. I'll end by hitting a few bunker shots and then go and hit some chip and putts on the putting green.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just warm up in the net. I normally hit a maximum of about 10 balls because it is just that - a warm up.

If I do not warm I notice the difference.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have to go through a warmup these days to find any kind of swing. This starts with exercises (rotational stuff, stretching, foam rolling, resistance bands etc). Then have plenty of swings (ideally on range / practice area / nets if available). However I think the former is more beneficial than the latter (rotational stuff with resitance bands especially so) even if it has to be done before leaving the house

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to go through a warmup these days to find any kind of swing. This starts with exercises (rotational stuff, stretching, foam rolling, resistance bands etc). Then have plenty of swings (on range / practice area / nets if available). However I thjnk the former is more beneficial than the former (rotational stuff with resitance bands especially so).

I have found that any more than about 10 balls with an 8 iron, and a couple with something a little longer (4h or 5w) starts to get counter productive very quickly nowadays.

There's a huge difference between a range session and finding the days swing (which for me also includes the putting green - never go near it when I'm playing; love to spend time on it when working on technique).
A good stretching routine is way more important, as I think you are saying👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have found that any more than about 10 balls with an 8 iron, and a couple with something a little longer (4h or 5w) starts to get counter productive very quickly nowadays.

There's a huge difference between a range session and finding the days swing (which for me also includes the putting green - never go near it when I'm playing; love to spend time on it when working on technique).
You make a very important point. It's vital to use the balls before a round simply as a tool to get the body ready to play and NOT a range session and start consciously thinking of swing technique. I also think, especially as I get older that stretching is crucial and have really found the theraband a vital tool

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I definitely need to do some stretching before a game and if there is a new handy i will be in there swinging away for as long as i can stay in there . the more i loosen up the more im into my game straight away.
if there is no net handy i will have a small jog around the car park or putting green to get all the joints moving fluidly,i find the little jog works best in the cold weather.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I definitely need to do some stretching before a game and if there is a new handy i will be in there swinging away for as long as i can stay in there . the more i loosen up the more im into my game straight away.
if there is no net handy i will have a small jog around the car park or putting green to get all the joints moving fluidly,i find the little jog works best in the cold weather.
I tend to do some stretching at home before I go. It's only a 15-20 minute drive. I get the theraband out in the locker room and have started to hook it into my trouser loop and tie it to the club and rehearse some swings in the locker room mirror and do a bit more stretching. I definitely think it's helping my tempo

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Yeah absolutely, 20 or 30 balls is plenty for me now before playing, merely as a loosener and get a feel.

I also find it useful (when I remember) to stretch a little whilst out on the course in the hope I don't stiffen up mid round

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I warm up by putting an extra layer on.....:oops:
Think we might be on the same wave length.

I usually hit a few in the net with the club I will be teeing off with. At my club that is a hybrid, and added bonus I can’t shank it. Some times I go mad and I hit a few putts.:eek:

I did look at my stats for all 18 holes, and my worst holes are the 1st and 2nd. :unsure:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think we might be on the same wave length.

I usually hit a few in the net with the club I will be teeing off with. At my club that is a hybrid, and added bonus I can’t shank it. Some times I go mad and I hit a few putts.:eek:

I did look at my stats for all 18 holes, and my worst holes are the 1st and 2nd. :unsure:
Maybe add a coffee into that routine? :unsure:

Wolf

Visit site
I tend to do some stretching at home before I go. It's only a 15-20 minute drive. I get the theraband out in the locker room and have started to hook it into my trouser loop and tie it to the club and rehearse some swings in the locker room mirror and do a bit more stretching. I definitely think it's helping my tempo

I have alsorts of strange images of seeing this now in a locker room..

Resistance bands are great for stretching and warming up muscles. For me if I can get to club early with it being light I'll stretch everything out and warm up then hit 20 balls on the range starting with wedge working up to driver. But I always make sure last ball is hit with the club I expect to tee off with on my opening hole almost like a rehearsal.

We have a putting green situated between 1st and 10th tees as well as outside clubhouse so before teeing off it's a few chips and putts on there before heading to tee only takes about half hour in total.

However if there isn't time for that it's swing 2 clubs together adjacent to putting green and stretches, few putts and go. Though I always prefer to do the former of the 2 but winter time early tee offs mean its not always an option.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Depends. When I go play with my mom (which I do almost every week), it is pretty much out of the car and directly onto the first tee, because my mom is the most impatient person ever, when it comes to golf. I even tried taking my own car to the course, so that I could get there half an hour before her (normally we share a car), but that did not work either, because she knows I am going early, so she will just show up early as well and tap her foot impatiently while I try to hit warm up shots:rolleyes: For a comp or a social round with other players, I always try to do a full warm up, I start with 10 min of putting, then do 10-15 minutes of short game, then do a few stretches and hit a small bucket of balls on our range (24 balls). All in all it takes me about 45 minutes. I can shorten that a bit, but I feel most comfortable if I have that amount of time. If I am really hard pressed for time, I am more likely to just do the short game part. If the ball striking is in place for the shorter shots, it usually works for the full swing as well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If there is a range, 40-50 balls .
Starting with half swing with PW 3-5 Balls
3/4 Swing with PW 3-5 Balls
Full swing with PW 3-5 Balls
Then full swing 3-5 Balls with 8, then 6, then 4, then hybrid, 3 wood and driver
A few minutes chipping and putting
Done.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Fortunate enough to have a range. I can’t go out cold, the first will be a horror show if I do.

I’ll take 2 clubs, hold them together and swing loosely back and forth. Then, a few wedge shots to about 50yards, a few mid irons and then I’ll hit 2 or 3 drives from the grass tee using my full pre shot routine.

For me, it’s as much to warm up as it is to see how I’m hitting it