Swing warm up

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If there is a range, 40-50 balls .
Starting with half swing with PW 3-5 Balls
3/4 Swing with PW 3-5 Balls
Full swing with PW 3-5 Balls
Then full swing 3-5 Balls with 8, then 6, then 4, then hybrid, 3 wood and driver
A few minutes chipping and putting
Done.
Most people I know scratch golfers included don't even practice never mind hit balls on a range before playing. I know 2 guys who are decent, ones played off between scratch and plus 2 for 20 years and the other is consistently a scratch player, both play 2 or 3 qualifiers a week and never practice because it's boring in their eyes.
Personally I do like to hit 15 20 balls then have a chip and putt but likewise have gone out without hitting even a putt and shot 6 under, so as long as your not a completely stiff cripple I'm not sure it's that much of a deal breaker. Whatever makes you feel best is what you should do.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use De Franco's Limber 11 for the gym and have found it's translates perfectly before golf as well. It's just sometimes hard to find a clean flat surface at most GC and people look at you weirdly when your foam rolling!

Then afterwards I normally hit about 25 balls on the range usually hitting 2 balls per club, chip a little and putt.

The link if anyone's interested is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If there is a range, 40-50 balls .
Starting with half swing with PW 3-5 Balls
3/4 Swing with PW 3-5 Balls
Full swing with PW 3-5 Balls
Then full swing 3-5 Balls with 8, then 6, then 4, then hybrid, 3 wood and driver
A few minutes chipping and putting
Done.
After that lot Bob I would have to go home for a rest.:oops:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course has no practise nets up either. I just do a collection of stretches before teeing off - some of them are kind of adapted from a yoga video I watched once. Or at least a poor man's version of. Example, I'll slowly rotate my back round so my left hand is on my right hip behind me and the right hand comes across the front on the left hip, and hold that for 5 or 6 seconds, then do it on the other side, and repeat 2 or 3 times. I think loosening up the back and rotation is key or my swing feels really stiff on the first tee.

I also bend down and touch my toes with a slight knee-bend, primarily to stretch my hamstrings because I have rubbish hamstrings and I have a long walk ahead of me, lol. Any other stretches you can just throw in as you feel you need, but it's definitely worth having a stretching routine.

Another one I sometimes do (but I've forgotten about it lately) is to hold two clubs and swing back and forth (like a soft golf swing but swinging back the other way as well). The extra weight and the momentum should loosen up your back and shoulders a bit.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I definitely need to do some stretching before a game and if there is a new handy i will be in there swinging away for as long as i can stay in there . the more i loosen up the more im into my game straight away.
if there is no net handy i will have a small jog around the car park or putting green to get all the joints moving fluidly,i find the little jog works best in the cold weather.

😂😂😂

A jog? Would love to see that.

A bit of stretching and a swing with a couple of clubs will be far more beneficial.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have alsorts of strange images of seeing this now in a locker room..

Resistance bands are great for stretching and warming up muscles. For me if I can get to club early with it being light I'll stretch everything out and warm up then hit 20 balls on the range starting with wedge working up to driver. But I always make sure last ball is hit with the club I expect to tee off with on my opening hole almost like a rehearsal.

We have a putting green situated between 1st and 10th tees as well as outside clubhouse so before teeing off it's a few chips and putts on there before heading to tee only takes about half hour in total.

However if there isn't time for that it's swing 2 clubs together adjacent to putting green and stretches, few putts and go. Though I always prefer to do the former of the 2 but winter time early tee offs mean its not always an option.
It does draw a few sarcastic comments but most of the roll up crowd know I do it now and are use to seeing me doing them. I tend to get to the club early but the issue is our roll up draws he balls at 7.45 and out at 8.00 and so there isn't usually enough time at this time of year to hit balls before the draw and definitely not if you're in one of the first groups drawn out. If it's a drawn comp and I'm out a tad later then my regime is similar to you and I hit some balls, a few bunker shots and then some chips and putts. I really feel (apart from this week when I've been shanking everything) positive on the first tee knowing I'm loose and have put club on ball

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While stretching seems to work ok for you guys, as my swing is still beginneresque I also need to get my swing primed.

I like Mike Malaska’s stuff so I’ll probably do some of his drills before starting in future (ie single arm swings and hockey drill). Could also do with a good one for getting the correct rotation feeling. Don’t like it when swing goes all Latino dance like!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In reality 7 swings with a weight on the end of a 7 iron followed by a few without the weight.
I probably should do these 5 exercises