Swing speeds & shaft flex?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
A bit of a strange one this?
For years I've played regular flex shafts
My Ping G410 driver is knocking on a bit, so I was thinking of getting a new driver.

I took out a few demo options out of the pro shop & although they were OK, the results didn't warrant spending £450 on a new driver.

I then started experimenting with different shafts, Ping Alta 55g stiff, Ping Tour 2.0 65g stiff, Ping tour 2.0 75g stiff.

The results were amazing.
I had to wind down the standard 10.5 degree head to 9 degrees to keep the high ball flight down, but the Ping Alta 55g stiff was fantastic.

My swing speed is a pretty constant 88 - 90 mph, which should really be a regular.
I then went on a golf fitters simulator & got the pro to check the numbers.
Sure enough, not only does the stiff shaft feel so much nicer & smoother to hit, the numbers didn't lie.
Straighter & longer by 20 - 30 yards
I then tried the 3 wood with the same results.
Even the fitter was stumped.
He said, really you should be in a regular shaft all day long & that's what I would recommend, but the data from the sim & my experience on the course doesn't back that up.
Thoughts?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Alta shaft isn't the stoutest shaft in the box..I'm not surprised your speed coped with a stiff flex..

As you're probably aware there is no standard when it comes to shafts...
One company's X stiff can be similar to another brand's regular..
And weight is just as, if not more, important

Captain_Black.

Visit site
The Alta shaft isn't the stoutest shaft in the box..I'm not surprised your speed coped with a stiff flex..

As you're probably aware there is no standard when it comes to shafts...
One company's X stiff can be similar to another brand's regular..
And weight is just as, if not more, important
Yes, I get all of that.
I just thought my experience just points out the importance of trying a club on the course in real world conditions as well as carefully noting the figures on a sim.

If I hadn't tried a stiff shaft on a whim one afternoon, I probably wouldn't have tried one with the club fitter on the sim.

D

Deleted member 25575

I think there is a lot more to it than a binary swing speed =xx so shaft should equal AA.
That’s why a fitting is a good idea rather than picking something up off the rack that you believe should be right.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last club I was fitted for was a Ping G425 3 wood.
The fitter recommended the Alta CB 65 in stiff or the Mitsubishi Tensei CK orange in regular both of which played similar. I have since tried the Alta in reg and stuck with the stiff.

I wanted to try the Tour shaft but surprisingly the fitter did not have it.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I would have thought the stiff shaft would launch lower.
That's what I thought, but I got huge airtime when it was set to 10 5.
I had to wind it down to 9.0 to get the flight I was happy with.
The following day it took it out with the Alta 55g shaft, the Tour 2.0 65g shaft & the Tour 2.0 75g shaft
I hit it well with all the shafts, but the best feel / flight & distance I got was with the stock Ping Alta 55g stiff shaft

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the tour 2 65g in my g430 lst. Works for me.
Watch out for wear on the shaft. Mine rubbed through the paint in less than a year in a brand new bag.

Ping would not replace it, hugely disappointing. Their customer service is not what it used to be it seems. £500 for the club too.🤷‍♂️