Swing Speed

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was at the range today and another person approached me, this time with a swing speed measuring device. ( what a friendly place this is, or it's my aura that attracts them)
Anyhow my swing speed with driver was a pathetic 84 mph. I was very surprised as I expected it to be more mid 90's. What a girl I am

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to the device at AG at Gosforth I'm somewhere in the 70's 😟. I like to think of it as graceful. I like to think that but know the reality is very different 😁.

D

Deleted member 21258

You can buy a Swing radar the devices 2nd hand quite cheaply, iirc spent about £80 on my one.

It may have been one of these, heres an example :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sports-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Surprising accurate sadly, mine is normally within 2-5mph of a proper device , and great when used to see if you have swung faster or not(so used as a tool of increase, rather than absolute figure and very handy to take to a course etc).

I used to swing at about that speed and on a normal hit carried about 180ish yards but will depend on strike, angle of attack and so on, then depending on ground conditions the ball can clearly run out massively further.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m intrigued as to what you’re supposed to do with just swing speed alone as a measure?

D

Deleted member 21258

I’m intrigued as to what you’re supposed to do with just swing speed alone as a measure?

I used it as part of learning to swing faster and the device tells you. It is easy, quick and pretty cheap to enable to find out swing speed. That's certainly what I used it for. (there is also one that enables tempo measurement, the red version iirc, but don't own that or never used it)

I know ball speed is king (along with launch conditions), but without swing speed you will never hit the ball far whatever you do with strike/launch conditions.

Probably not relevant for you, as I think you are a quick swinger naturally.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I had (a cheap) one of these many years ago that I used to see whether any of the devices (Speedstick, Heavy Club etc) that I was using had any real effect. The answer was 'marginal'!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The only time I got a measurement on mine it was 75 mph on an indoor simulator in a golf shop, when I tried out different drivers. That was two years ago, though, so it might have changed (I am hitting the ball a lot further now, but that can also just be due to better contact with the ball).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a gadget you clip onto the shaft, below the grip, that gives a swing speed. It doesnt weigh much, but still alters the swing weight, and feels odd.