Swing rebuilding - Part 2

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few months ago i submitted a post detailing my initial foray into a near-total swing rebuild - see post here: Swing Rebuild - Part 1.

Well, since then I have been working very hard at the range, occasionally on the course and having two more lessons with Ben, the pro at Hindhead.

The key to moving forward is doing good practice. It has helped immensely having video tools to show what is good and bad practice, stopping me going back to old habits. Trust me, it very hard to groove new swing memories but things are definitely moving forward.

I now understand a good takeaway. I can do this most of the time now. However, I can't do a full swing, without reverting back to old habits - I have to do the good takeaway, stop, then try and complete upswing and hit ball. It's not great that I have a two-stage swing on the course at the mo, but it is helping getting the takeaway right.

The next part is completing the backswing after takeaway. The third lesson I've recently had with the pro has given me a great drill and thought to cure. My original full swing was in fact overswing, so we are installing a thought for me to 3/4 swing, which turns out to be a full swing! :D I've also got work on getting the club a little bit more laid off.

Further, we've been working on address issues. Pro said my hands were too close to legs and crucially, my forearms were pointing left, causing a drag of the right shoulder at impact, pulling the shot left and leaving a divot mark in the same direction accordingly. I'm now straightening the arms and moving the hands out a bit - the difference is very strange but allows a much better backswing and a controllable impact. The divots are shallower and straighter. :) In fact, the consistency, strike and ball flight is now superb (when doing my new swing, which isn't all the time! ;))

Of course, the above will take weeks to groove and I haven't taken the above onto a course.. :cool: :)

Here's my current swing, taken mid Sept 2011: My Swing Sept 2011 - 7i. It's about 80% to where I want it, but massively better than it was.

Thanks for looking. :cool: :cool:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard work isn't it? I think you take the club away outside the line here, mate.

Yes, a bit, i agree. As I said in the OP, doing a full new swing in one go is very fresh at the mo, hence I can see some old elements here. That's the other 20% I need to improve on.

And it is hard work, but very rewarding. :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't be tempted to try and get the perfect swing.
I personally focus on the small area either side of the impct position.
Get that right and I don't care too much what else goes on.

Look at some of the great golfers down the years who had quirks in their swings yet still hit it great.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Look at some of the great golfers down the years who had quirks in their swings yet still hit it great.

Yes, I think you're right as I do have a tendency to want a perfect looking swing. I need to worry less about that and more about consistency. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

That'll be where I go wrong - that bit either side of the impact spot. Plus the takeaway, length of backswing, weight transfer, loss of spine angle, high follow through, lack of hip turn through impact and a dodgy short game. Easy game :D ;)

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk

Yeah, but they succeeded because of their enormous talent. Very few amateurs have that luxury and decent mechanics make it so much easier to play half decent golf.