Swing Path

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's not so much as 'swinging' in to out to draw the ball with driver as much as it is where you line up your HSP (horizontal swing plane).

If your HSP is +8 degrees and you are hitting UP at 5 degrees that gives you a path of +3 degrees... if your clubface is 3 degrees open you'll hit a straight block, 2 or 1 degrees open and you'll get the push-draw as there's a differential between path and face.

So HOW do you get your HSP to +8 degrees? Well the best way is to close your stance.

However.... if you are hitting DOWN or level, let's say at 0 degrees then you don't need such a big HSP angle. 3 degrees to the right will give you the SAME 3 deg differential so you can get that by being 5 degrees more square at setup.

I did pose the question to JohnGraham (one of the d-plane leading lights) back on January 1st 2012... his d-plane blog post is here...
http://johngrahamgolf.com/blog/the-d-plane/
hopefully that'll clear it up for you once and for all Gary :thup:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Although a lot may find it interesting. I'm sorry the science of the swing diagnosed to that extent is, beyond me and boring. Fine if thats what turns you on. I'm not knocking it. But to me the swing is more an organic/feel thing. I know if I do this that happens and if I do that this happens. thats all I need or want to know. "Clear your head of thoughts and swing away". everytime for me thanks.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most probably not setting the club in the correct position at the top. Very common to see people go back too far with the driver. Its very easy to overswing with the big stick which may cause positional and timing issues.

Hypothetical of course. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you say 'shoulders following the hips', do you mean they lag behind, or stay in sync?
What should the relationship between shoulders and hips be in the downswing?

Try this....
Swing to the top of your backswing and stop.
Then simply and very slowly, turn your hips ONLY.
What happens to your shoulders, hands and club?
They get turned to the outside.
To stop that happening, you must feel as if the shoulders are resisting your hip turn so it will feel as if the hips are turning but your shoulders aren't.
Of course, they will turn, eitherwise your break something, but feeling the hips going one way and the shoulders staying back and waiting a fraction before following will help you keep the swing path on line.
Warning/disclaimer
If you over-do it you'll be in 'block/hook city' all day