Swing Check - My son this time!

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Neil,

Posting this on behalf of my son, he's only 12 and has only been playing properly for about 6 months, he had his own set of Wilson clubs about 2 years ago but has outgrown them and didnt play often enough with them, in the videos he is using my clubs which are c/f for me at 2 degrees upright & 1/2" longer but he hits my clubs a lot better than his old ones.

Do you have regular coaching at the moment? Not yet, just off his dad.
What do you consider to be the strengths of your game? long game
Weaknesses? short game
How often do you play/practise? At present playing 1-2 times a fortnight, range 1-2 times a month
What is your scoring average/handicap? best round so far of 57 over par
Do you keep stats? no
What is your strike/shot/shape pattern for the following clubs
Driver/Tee shots
since using dad's clubs a lot straighter but occasional slice or block straight right
Fairway woods same as driver
Rescue Clubs straight and fairly long, hits this club really well
Long/medium irons occasional block straight right, not very long with a lowish flight
Short irons generally straight with a decent flight

In these videos I have just adjusted his grip as his right hand was very weak so he has played these shots with a brand new grip.

driver from down the line

Driver - side view

7I down the line

7I - side view

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Nice work. I think he's over adjusted his right hand though. It looks a little strong.

Just try and get him to stay down through impact a little longer. Get him to feel like his right shoulder passes under his chin before he follows the ball. At the mo he's trying to help it up into the air.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I've just spoke to him about keeping his head down, neither of us realised he was doing it until we watched his video's! lol

His grip is all to cock at the moment, what with me adjusting it today he said it feels awful, something i'll have to keep a close eye on I think.

Cheers for the comments though :)

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
KeefG

Good motion
Great balance
Excellent finish position

All the things I look for in a lad of his age

PLEASE don't tell him to keep his head down, it will restrict all of the above and will not improve his position at impact. I hear parents say this to kids all the while and have to let them know how much harm that advice can do.

This swing will develop as he grows and gets stronger over the next few years. I like to let the lads of this age to develop at their own rate.

Work on his golf course skills, get him out on the course and let him learn by his own mistakes.
If you do organise some lessons for him, ask the pro to get out on the golf course with him

I use the term, learn to play - play to learn, and I always tell this to the parnets we see at my club

If you do help him, keep an eye on his alignment and ball position, these are vital things to develop his game around.
In the driver swing from the front, it does look like his ball position is a long way forward.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on your son's development, I would be more than happy to answer any questions
Would love to see some stats/scores, this will develop his awareness of his whole game

Neil Plimmer

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Neil, again many thanks for the comments!!

I must admit to constantly telling him to keep his head down as he does tend to top a fair few shots, I must remember not to in future

We've been working on his alignment lately as he doesnt have a clue where he is aiming half the time, he thinks he is aiming straight and has his shoulders and head looking in one direction and his feet pointing 20yds to the left/right!

I'll get him out on the course more over the coming few weeks and i'll let you know how he gets on.

Again, many thanks for your time & comments.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that is excellent advice from Neil. I've seen so many kids at ranges almost being taught to death and having no idea what to do when they are on the course and outside the confines of a bay with the alignment aid of a mat etc.

Playing on the course will get him use to different lies (and not a perfect one everytime) and will also get him use to the short game. If you can get him to hone his talents on this area early on it will see him in good stead further down the line

roccokj

Head Pro
Visit site
Needs more width but he has a good swing for somebody shooting the scores he's shooting. He needs to groove the swing in before he brings it out on the course.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Nice swing (only looked at driver down the line)
His clubface is CLOSED at the top, or more like SHUT at the top. It's pointing to the sky (red line) and should be closer to 45° (where the yellow line is aiming), basically parallel to the angle of his left arm at the top of his swing.

songwc.gif

Personally I'd rework his grip before doing anything else - but that would just be my choice. To me there's not much point in hitting golfballs if your grip is wrong, especially seeing as it'll probably get picked up on a lot in the future and he'll (more than likely) get told to change it then.. if not now.

Just my opinion...

His posture and swing plane look fantastic :D

hope this helps,
regards....

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
And, yes, keeep your head down is the absolute worse advice any well meaning player ever gave. Maintain your spine angle, now there's some good advice. That's what my suggestion of waiting till his right shoulder passes under his chin till allowing it to be pulled up will do. When at the range watch really good players compared to others. They ALL do this.