Swing analysis gizmos

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Evening all.

I'm just after some opinion on any of the swing analysis devices you can get. Im looking to work on my swing path with the longer clubs and need something to give me feedback.

I've read rather mixed reviews on most, I know that nothing is going to compare to a launch monitor. Just wandered if anyone has experience of any devices. I only really need path and club face.

Are they worth bothering with?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am also looking at them and left enough hints with the wife for Christmas that short of neon signage she can't have missed them.

No, they are not and will never be better than a launch monitor but IMO serve a slightly different purpose. Like you I am wanting to view and analyse my swing path, also tempo and speed, a swing analyser will give that. I don't need or want to know ball speed or distance as I can work that out separately.

Having done some research the ones I have narrowed to based on reviews and functionality are Zepp Labs (goes on your glove) ans Swingbyte (goes on your club), both give the stats and data tracking capability that I am looking for.

G

guest100718

Swingbyte is awsome....there's one for sale in the sale/wanted forum.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like I said I know it's nowhere near a launch monitor. I just want to know if the path figures are accurate. I don't really care about club head speed or tempo. I only want path and face angle. To someone of my level that's all I need to know. I understand enough about ball shape to get by on those figures alone.

Swing yet is the one I have been looking at but seen mixed reviews on the accuracy. Haven't heard of the other you mentioned but will have a look.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like I said I know it's nowhere near a launch monitor. I just want to know if the path figures are accurate. I don't really care about club head speed or tempo. I only want path and face angle. To someone of my level that's all I need to know. I understand enough about ball shape to get by on those figures alone.

Swing yet is the one I have been looking at but seen mixed reviews on the accuracy. Haven't heard of the other you mentioned but will have a look.

I think we are agreeing on this, not sure.
anyhow, the Zepp Labs one gets good reviews. 3 Bays SGA is another but I am not happy with one the spikes in to the end of the grip, just personal preference.

G

guest100718

Depending on your budget, you may want to look at Ernest sports LMs, they use dopplar radar and are only a few hundred quid. while not in the same league as GC2 etc they do look pretty good. It an area I htink we will see some really great stuff over the next few years.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think we are agreeing on this, not sure.
anyhow, the Zepp Labs one gets good reviews. 3 Bays SGA is another but I am not happy with one the spikes in to the end of the grip, just personal preference.

Yeah definitely agree with you. To me the swingbyte looks the best design I've seen. Just want to be sure it's consistant and reasonable accurate.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah definitely agree with you. To me the swingbyte looks the best design I've seen. Just want to be sure it's consistant and reasonable accurate.

Worth messaging Alex1975 (if he doesnt see this), he uses a swingbyte quite a lot so should be able to give you decent feedback / review

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think (opinion alert) that it is fairly reasonsble in terms of accuracy using gyroscopes etc. I can't say for definite but I am willing to trust it for trscking my swing path. Love the fact on both apps you get 3D modelling so can get multiple views.
At the minute Zepps app shades it slightly.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I just got a Swingbyte and it works on every club but the driver. If I hit the driver off the deck it records OK but as soon as I put the ball on a tee it doesn't work. I'm having a dialogue with the help desk at the moment but it just seems to be not sensitive enough. And, every impact causes the gizmo to slide round the shaft, you have to realign it after every shot. However, the information it produces seems fairly accurate.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just got a Swingbyte and it works on every club but the driver. If I hit the driver off the deck it records OK but as soon as I put the ball on a tee it doesn't work. I'm having a dialogue with the help desk at the moment but it just seems to be not sensitive enough. And, every impact causes the gizmo to slide round the shaft, you have to realign it after every shot. However, the information it produces seems fairly accurate.

Interesting feedback. Is that model 1 or 2? My understanding was that version 2 had an improved snap on mechanism. If thats still problematic then the Zepp lools like being the weiner as it goes on the glove rather than the club.

G

guest100718

That sounds like a swingbyte 1. I have had the 2 for a while and it is very secure, I have never had to adjust it during use.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forget all the rubbish advice above! What you really want is a 3bays gsa.

as luck would have it, :thup: I have one that I'll do £75 delivered.....

haha, good luck in the search. I'm sure they're all much of a muchness in the end.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've a swingbyte 2 and it is great when its working. You get lots and lots of stats so you kind of need to know what you are looking for and how to interpret them a bit. Plus the visualization of your swing is really good. The videoing feature is OK, mine worked fine to video a swing on its own, but when the video was supposed to mirror the visualization of your swing so you can see both on screen at the same time in 2 different views I found that they were often not in time.

Also be careful with the stats as it can tell for example if you are too out to in by so many degrees, but of course it does not tell you how to sort it out. I'd recommend sharing your stats with a pro. Also I think you get more on the ipad app than you do on the android app in terms of things like intelligent target recognition, but don't quote me on that.

The other issue is the build quality. I have had 2 straps snap on me, and the supplier shipped me 3 free of charge. Which is great, but may indicate they know it is a problem. But now the plastic fastener that holds the strap top the swingbyte has snapped so mine is buggered. I did use mine always on mats on top of concrete, some of which were not the best quality, so that may have been a factor. Or I may have been unlucky, who knows. But if you are going to use it all the time on battered old driving range mats on top of concrete then just beware.