Swing advice?

mazza78

Visit site
[video=youtube_share;QRaGUde58aY]http://youtu.be/QRaGUde58aY[/video]

Hi guys. I've got to a point in my game where I'm not improving and stuck on 14 handicap! Can anyone give me some tips/advice as really struggling for consistency off tee with driver!!

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It would be good to see you swing a few irons as well.

Is your scoring problem mainly due to your driving? Are you good with shots into the green, chipping and putting?

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's difficult to tell from the camera angle but in the first video it looks to me as if you are steering your hands through impact instead of releasing the clubhead. What is your bad shot?

mazza78

Visit site
Hi
Yeah I'd say my driving in particular is my biggest problem. I'm not too bad with irons into green as I produce a slight fade which ain't bad. If I could keep drives straighter I'd be a few shots lower per round. Seem to slice about 3-4 drives a round.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi
Yeah I'd say my driving in particular is my biggest problem. I'm not too bad with irons into green as I produce a slight fade which ain't bad. If I could keep drives straighter I'd be a few shots lower per round. Seem to slice about 3-4 drives a round.

out of interest, why do you believe your driving is your biggest problem? How often are you taking your 3rd shot from within 50 yards to the green?

mazza78

Visit site
I tend to be either in rough or no shot in after my tee shot do if I could straighten my tee shots I reckon I could get down to single figures. Most of time I'm scrambling for pars. Was thinking at first I was sliding into ball on downswing and leaving face open!??

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to be either in rough or no shot in after my tee shot do if I could straighten my tee shots I reckon I could get down to single figures. Most of time I'm scrambling for pars. Was thinking at first I was sliding into ball on downswing and leaving face open!??

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Remember even for pros the PGA stats show the top 10 in the world are only hitting the fairway off the tee (irrespective of club used) 70% of the time. Do you know what your percentage of fairways hit is?

I suspect the most impact on your game based on your handicap will be on the finesse side, i.e. less than 100 yards in (in truth more likely within 30 yards or so). You're not likely to be hitting GIR more than 4 times on average in a round at present, so the importance comes on your ability to get down from less than 100 yards in, not your ability to get on to the fairway from your drive and be in a position to hit the GIR. Perhaps when you're low singles GIR obviously becomes a little more important and that starts back on tee, but I honestly think that you'll still be hitting it on to the green with your 3rd and not your 2nd, even if that shot is from the fairway (on a standard par 4) the majority of the time. So that's where you need to focus IMO, i.e. getting that close enough to knock in the 1 putt for par. What is likely to end up closer to the pin? A 175-200 yard iron shot, or a 30 yard chip

I appreciate you asked for swing advice though so I'll shut up now and you can of course choose to ignore my waffle :)

Last edited:

mazza78

Visit site
No it's fine mate. I appreciate any advice and help I can get. I know my swings flawed but thought I'd see what tips people could recommend. My biggest thing I do mess about with is my grip. In these videos I've tried to have a strong grip with my left hand but after watching video I think my right hand position isn't good though is it??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That does seem to be a bit of a 'slice potential' swing, though camera angle probably exaggerates that.

Does seem to be a bit 'loose' and there's not much hip movement - except in reaction to the upper body.

Balance seems to be slightly wrong and there's probably some Early Extension in there that causes that. You end up on your left toe - before adjusting. (Left) hip seems to move (slide) forward without also turning left as well. Loss of balance is likely to cause inconsistency - mainly a slice or pull depending on hand action.

I'd suggest you try a 3/4 swing and make sure you keep your balance better so that you finish more balanced - towards your left heel. To do that, your left hip needs to turn left - even feeling as if it's moving backwards. If you really are EE-ing, there's a couple of drills that can help - with a chair and/or wall. JO likes a particular vid, but I get bored and have turned off before the guy gets to the important bit!

In any case, if you practice your short game you can recover from all sorts of situations, so that's the other area to concentrate on imo.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hard to tell anything from those vid angles - looks like you take the club head away to the outside of your hands which is going to put your swing-plane leftwards (slice spin) more often than not. When the club has swung 90 degrees in your backswing the shaft of the club should be level with your toe line and just shy of waist height. Get some better vids.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That does seem to be a bit of a 'slice potential' swing, though camera angle probably exaggerates that.

Does seem to be a bit 'loose' and there's not much hip movement - except in reaction to the upper body.

Balance seems to be slightly wrong and there's probably some Early Extension in there that causes that. You end up on your left toe - before adjusting. (Left) hip seems to move (slide) forward without also turning left as well. Loss of balance is likely to cause inconsistency - mainly a slice or pull depending on hand action.

I'd suggest you try a 3/4 swing and make sure you keep your balance better so that you finish more balanced - towards your left heel. To do that, your left hip needs to turn left - even feeling as if it's moving backwards. If you really are EE-ing, there's a couple of drills that can help - with a chair and/or wall. JO likes a particular vid, but I get bored and have turned off before the guy gets to the important bit!

In any case, if you practice your short game you can recover from all sorts of situations, so that's the other area to concentrate on imo.

Good thing you didn't watch my swing Fox!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Good thing you didn't watch my swing Fox!

I was shocked when I saw my video of mine!

It's not how; it's how many. Though certain basics, like GASP, help.

I'm a balance and rhythm fan. Provided those are in order, making decent contact is pretty simple. EE is a balance issue in my book.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a balance and rhythm fan. Provided those are in order, making decent contact is pretty simple. EE is a balance issue in my book.

That's my philosophy too. Slow the swing from the top, good rhythm and just let it flow - it hasn't lost me any yardage, in fact the opposite and straighter too

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A boring answer but if you are stagnating, have you spoken to your pro and discussed your good areas and your weaknesses. I'm sure you and he could devise a decent winter programme to tweak the faults and improve the good bits

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was shocked when I saw my video of mine!

It's not how; it's how many. Though certain basics, like GASP, help.

Agree 100%, generally caused by trying to hit the ball too hard.