sweepers / sliders chipping pitching

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
where exactly do you have your weight positioned?

i am usually what is called a digger when it comes to chipping/pitching. I was mucking around with my wedges on Sunday night and found that I can quite easily pick and slide my wedges but only if I position some weight on my right side and have the ball well forward in my stance.

this goes against all teachings. I have heard many say to neutralise the weight (keep centred) to use the bounce. when I do this I still dig.

I found that the weight on the right side slightly presents even more bounce to the ground. granted it opens up the possibility of blading it but more often than not the club just slid under the ball and popped up nicely. (I bladed 1 from about 50)

can any sliders please make a chipping/ pitching video from the side on view so I can see your technique. I appreciate the ground isn't the best just yet but if you could do this it would be great.

I plan to experiment with this a little more. I found it fascinating as I was able to play lobs even easier (I suppose it adds loft).

the whole thing goes against the current teachings. it would be nice to hear some views and also videos would be fantastic. from real sliding golfers, not robot pros! ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm very much a digger when it comes to a full pitch.

However...

Around the green when chipping I keep my weight forward and just slide the club under the ball. Very small, if any scrape.

Pitching is similar, but the scrape is a little more pronounced. Not exactly a divot, more the removal of the grass from the turf :D.

Again weight forward at address and kept there through the swing.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this is the bit I am finding difficult. I am more your agricultural type. if I have the weight on the left side I struggle to simply brush.

is your head staying back?

if you could make a wee video when you get time id love to see this technique.

when I pitch I take half the course with me. :eek:

off to work here. will reply this evening :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm a Sweeper/Slider.

I still have my weight mainly on my left side. It's the AofA that's different.

Don't change your natural style - unless it's not working, or you have to for a particular shot.

As a Digger/Driver, you are probably 'using' the change of weight to manufacture a flatter AofA, whereas I am trying to ensure I don't get too flat - which would result in thins!

That vid of Pelz seemed to be more for chips of 10-15 yds, so maybe not the sort of shot for you. Try a 'Putt' with a 8 or 9 iron.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a Sweeper/Slider.

I still have my weight mainly on my left side. It's the AofA that's different.

Don't change your natural style - unless it's not working, or you have to for a particular shot.

As a Digger/Driver, you are probably 'using' the change of weight to manufacture a flatter AofA, whereas I am trying to ensure I don't get too flat - which would result in thins!

now we are getting into the meat and bones of it.

got to run. :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What is maximum distance you use the linear method for Homer

Tend to use it for chip shots. I guess a long chip and run of about 50 yards tops. I did experiment over the winter with pitching that way too but found I was coming up shorter than a conventional method. As I don't have the issues in that area it is only chipping I use linear for