Surface scratches on club face

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Taken the new 4 wood to the range tonight to try it out. Club does exactly what I wanted it to, but the clubface has scratched a little after hitting 40 range balls.

Only cosmetic, so not the end of the world as it won't impact the shots, but not what you want after just spending £100 on a used but mint condition club.

Anyone got any tips to get rid of them if it's possible?

sammyboy

Visit site
If you smear a bit of vaseline on the club face before hitting it you will protect the face and also help the ball go a bit further and straighter. You don't need to use a lot and can apply a bit to your towel before a round, so you can wipe some on after cleaning the head.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't be a woos! As you state, 'It's only cosmetic'!
As long as the marks are in the middle they are fine! It's when ther are all over the place - and on the top - that you should be concerned!

Btw/FWIW. I do know how you feel! I've recently purchased some absolutely spotless Miura forged McGregor PCB Tours (making 3 sets I have!). I'd love to see how they feel with the graphite shafts, but don't want to scuff them!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you smear a bit of vaseline on the club face before hitting it you will protect the face and also help the ball go a bit further and straighter. You don't need to use a lot and can apply a bit to your towel before a round, so you can wipe some on after cleaning the head.

Just not in a competition - rule 4.1a(3)

sammyboy

Visit site
Just not in a competition - rule 4.1a(3)

Sorry I should have added some smiling faces to make it obvious that was a joke!

Although I'd love to go to the range and see if it actually works. As in if I get more distance, and if the ball will slice if I really try my best to swing across the ball.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry I should have added some smiling faces to make it obvious that was a joke!

Although I'd love to go to the range and see if it actually works. As in if I get more distance, and if the ball will slice if I really try my best to swing across the ball.

No problem, you'd be genuinely surprised (or maybe not) with some of the interpretations of the rules - so just thought i'd clarify!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is one of the troubles with some range balls.

I find most marks come off by simply washing the club in warn soapy water with softish cloth.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
All my clubs are now 7+ years old and they still look great despite all the use.

You just need to redefine what you feel looks great. Nothing wrong with used clubs.