Sundridge Park or Royal Blackheath

niall147

Visit site
Hi guys,
I have moved from Dublin and am currently living half way between these 2 clubs. It's about 15 min drive. Which of the 2 would you recommend? I played Blackheath last week and thought it was very pleasant but otherwise nothing amazing. I hope to play sundridge next week.
My essential requirements are
1) Easy to get a quick 9 holes if I have a morning or afternoon off
2) A couple of club comps I can play in every week.
3) Decent practice facilities- chipping,pitching etc. I was a member of Pedham Place last year- It took me 25 mins to get there. I liked the links style and par 3 but it's very much a pay and play and could be tricky getting a game as loads of green fees. They had a club comp every second weekend but no proper timesheet and you had to turn up at 8-830 am on the Sunday to get hooked up with some guys. I prefer to put my name on a timesheet slightly later on a sun! :)
Very much appreciate any replies.
Niall

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would go SP every time unless I was a senior - in with case it's back to a personal preference.

Leftie on here is a SP member and can advise more on course access, but 2 x 18 is a good start!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Hi Niall,

Welcome to the forum and to England!

Of the two, I would chose Sundridge, but I would maybe consider telling both clubs you're thinking of joining and would it be possible to play a round with some members, and also spend some time in the bar listening to conversations and seeing what kind of members they have. They are very different clubs with different courses but also members.

Both will certainly be different to Pedham's membership, but please be aware I am making no judgements about anyone's character.

niall147

Visit site
Thnaks for the reply Duncan- Why do you say 'unless I was a senior'?. Is it hilly? If so hopefully not a sbad as Shooter's Hill- I had a look there and I imagined it's a cross between playing golf and rock climbing which is far too energetic for me! :)
Niall

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're just up the road from me - I moved down here in May!

Leftie on here is a member at Sundridge - I don't think I've seen anyone mention being a member of Blackheath!

So far I've not heard many good reviews of Blackheath - the condition of the course and that magnificent clubhouse are the selling points! Most members at mine say the course layout is very average and the members are a tad snooty - I've not played it I work all week and the time I drove up there on a Sunday afternoon 3o'clock-ish nobody about course looked empty and I got turned away, cash in my pocket decent enough golfer and I was back in my car heading for Shooters!

edit: timing's everything!

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thnaks for the reply Duncan- Why do you say 'unless I was a senior'?. Is it hilly? If so hopefully not a sbad as Shooter's Hill- I had a look there and I imagined it's a cross between playing golf and rock climbing which is far too energetic for me! :)
Niall

RB is significantly flatter than SP, but the latter is interesting for it rather than falling into the rock climbing category. Always something to keep you interested in most of the holes. If it was an easier journey I would play it a lot more.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having grown up round that way there's no contest between those two; Sundridge Park every time, although I might dispute Duncan's interesting rather than rock-climbing comment if you were playing the West course.

niall147

Visit site
I take it from that you're a relative of Chris Bonnington.... :D

Can I reconsider the location & go for Foots Cray or Sidcup if you were using Pedham Place?

Thanks guys. Can't believe all the replies. I actually posted this question on an Irish site(golf boards.ie)to see if there were any London resident boyos and someone recommended this forum.
Someone mentioned Leftie- If he reads this he might let me know if it's easy to rock up most days and get on a tee without queueing. I drove in there Monday morning and the car park was jammed - over 100 cars - so that made me a tad nervous. RB is quiet a lot of the time according to the golf assistant there and I've driven up 3 times and it's always been half empty which suits me down to the ground.
Any more bets on where I live? Similar distance to RB and SP and there's a feminine aspect to the name :)
Niall

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. Can't believe all the replies. I actually posted this question on an Irish site(golf boards.ie)to see if there were any London resident boyos and someone recommended this forum.
Someone mentioned Leftie- If he reads this he might let me know if it's easy to rock up most days and get on a tee without queueing. I drove in there Monday morning and the car park was jammed - over 100 cars - so that made me a tad nervous. RB is quiet a lot of the time according to the golf assistant there and I've driven up 3 times and it's always been half empty which suits me down to the ground.
Any more bets on where I live? Similar distance to RB and SP and there's a feminine aspect to the name :)
Niall

don't forget that it's a full 36 holes

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Don't forget that Sundridge Park has other social aspects such as bridge which will attract members to the car park & not the course, as Duncan says it is 36 holes, and depending on exactly what time you were there Monday there was a 14 a side match that I was playing in that would have put the best part of 30 extra cars in the car park. The clubhouse was quite full when I was there but the courses weren't. All joking aside about the West course, it does scare a few of the seniors away so if you like it then you can usually get on it. I know they have some very good social games such as the home internationals and the Am-Am, so if you're a proper Dublin boy I'd imagine the social there would suit you better.

Having re-read your first about 25 minutes to Pedham & 15 minutes to the other 2, Ladywell has a feminine aspect to the name. If that's right I hope it's improved from when I used to work there :(

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was going to say Ladywell, as HID used work there when she lived in Sidcup. Got to admit wasn't the best place but mustbe now morethan 15mins from both clubs being mentioned.

Have dome some work at Royal Backheath when I first started playing and was working for BT based in Blackheath. Got to admit I was distintcly underwhelmed with it and massively put off by its members. I was there to work and do what the club wanted yet was made to feel by its members that I was the spawn of the devil for having th cheek to be there.

On the flip side I've been to Sundridge Park, not had the priviledge of playing it but for other sporting activities and the couldn't be more helpful and welcoming.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Nah, down Rushey Green to that stupid cat, round the South Peculiar to Baring Road and then past Grove Park station for Sundridge (or straight down the A21 to the top of Bromley Hill, take your pick), continue on down to the World of Leather on the A20 & down that to the Mottingham junction for Blackheath, stay on the A20 for Pedham. They're all doable in those times at the right time of day. Your view of Royal Blackheath seems much as I remember it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Someone mentioned Leftie...
If you search for Leftie's profile, you can send him an email (known as PMs on this site).

Sure he won't mind a few questions.

As for your location, I was going to say Hither Green, but now you've mentioned a femal connection... Dither Green? ;)

Last edited:

niall147

Visit site
If you search for Leftie's profile, you can send him an email (known as PMs on this site).

Sure he won't mind a few questions.

As for your location, I was going to say Hither Green, but now you've mentioned a femal connection... Dither Green? ;)

Thanks agin for all the advice guys- even driving directions- wow!
Congrats on ladywell!! Drove to SP this eve to play 9 holes. 14 mins. No comparison to RB. Just in a different league. Hope to join this month. The entrance fee is 2600 but I'm guessing this is typical for a club of this quality in London?
thanks for all the help again guys. It was a real help.
Niall