Stronger right hand grip (Right handed player)

stanleyboy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I seem to have developed a slice with my woods and after having a look at the basics last night i realised over time my right hand grip has become weaker. I turned my right wrist over more at address and hit some fantastic drives, it just feels awkward and as despite good results I dont have the confidence that Im going to hit a good shot as its so uncomfortable.

Should I persist until it clicks and feels natural or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers
SB

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did the same as you a few years back, and once i modded the grip it lead to all other faults, its taken me almost 2 years of regular lessons to get a grip back somewhere near neutral.

"Personally" id either post some videos of you swing here for one of the better players to have a look at, or alternatively get a lesson with a pro to check your basics. you can hit a slice for different amount of reasons, it seems crazy to compensate one fault with another.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wise words from Oddsocks - be very carefull here. Suggest elisting the services of a pro.

A change in grip is bound to feel weird at first. However the grip, coupled with numerous other factors (wrist cup, release etc) determine the shape of the shot.

As a general rule, 'weak grippers' such as Olazabel, have less wrist cup. Stronger grippers such as Azinger (Langer as well I think) have more wrist cup. This offsets the effect of the grip somewhat, preventing strong grips being shut and weak grips open at the top of the backswing position.

Take a look at some pictures on the net of these two at the top of their backswing and it should be evident.

Also, look at Dustin Johnson - a big bowed wrist position which looks very shut indeed! URGH!

Matt