Strong grip question

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But I hear so many bad reports about lessons it's put me right off! 😖

Shop around. Loads of good teachers out there and word of mouth from fellow members usually a decent barometer of a pro's teaching ability. A decent pro will work (within reason) with what you have and so may feel that a strong grip isn't a detriment and will look at your swing and delivery.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Takes quite a bit more than just casual advice from a better golfer to think about implementing a new grip.
But if the better golfer told you every week for years and you kept dropping 10 shots per round because you can't play the holes that go from left to right do u think you might reconsider.

oviously its up to the person , but I learned the game by listening to the better golfers myself!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its quite possible to hit functional fades using an uber strong grip.
I am sure it is,
but it's just as easy to hit a double cross and see your ball 50yds wide in a farmers field.
How many golfers with strong grips aim left and fade the ball , not many I would wager.
Costs him a few balls a round
This is what he does almost every week but he still won't change his grip.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
http://www.consistentgolf.com/dustin-johnson-golf-swing-analysis/

Check out dustins impact. 9th set of pics. Hands are ahead opening up the face. This is how you can hit a fade with a strong grip.

I used to be an awful duck hooker. Ive learnt this little trick this year. Works a treat.

At address I will aim up the left and move the grip say 4 or 5 inches forward ( left ) . This pre-sets an open clubface. Swing a bit from out to in. Don't flip the club, hold off the swing. Hey presto, ball moves left to right.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
http://www.consistentgolf.com/dustin-johnson-golf-swing-analysis/

Check out dustins impact. 9th set of pics. Hands are ahead opening up the face. This is how you can hit a fade with a strong grip.

I used to be an awful duck hooker. Ive learnt this little trick this year. Works a treat.

At address I will aim up the left and move the grip say 4 or 5 inches forward ( left ) . This pre-sets an open clubface. Swing a bit from out to in. Don't flip the club, hold off the swing. Hey presto, ball moves left to right.
your talking about the number one golfer in the world, Hartley a 16 capper at my club.
He won't do what anyone tells him , I don't think he will do this.

I am sure this works but two wrongs never make a right.
It must break down under pressure.
Prefer just a neutral grip

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you put a gun to my head I could hit you a cut with a strong grip. :rofl:

If your mate isn't willing to try something new tell him not to complain when he is reloading off the tee. :thup:

Played with plenty of boys who fade with a strong grip.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If your mate isn't willing to try something new tell him not to complain when he is reloading off the tee. :thup:

To be fair he Dosnt complain , It's more me I just think he would be a good golfer if he sorted his grip.
but it takes all sorts if we were all the same it would be boring.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have a very strong grip and my short irons usually fade a bit, more often than not. I mean, it's not like I know what I'm doing - I'm just saying a strong grip doesn't automatically mean you hook everything or you can't fade it.