Strokes Gained - No Laying Up podcast

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you listen to the podcast, he explains how the strokes gained system differentiates between a shot in the rough where you can still go for the green and a shot into an area which needs to be recovered from i.e. whack it into play. So it would be fine for all courses it seems

I don't doubt that but I still don't see much benefit in recording these stats at our level. We all know that one day we drive like God then miss 3ft putts and the following day we miss every fairway and hole putts from everywhere. We are simply not consistent enough to make these stats worthwhile.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The book on strokes gained, every shot counts, is fascinating. The phrase drive for show putt for dough may actually be the wrong way round for some golfers according to their stats on amateurs. It explains that for some of his famous wins, tigers difference to the field was actually his mid irons when anyone watching woukd say driving or putting. Great read.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a foursomes match in high winds with my buddy yesterday, he plays off 23 and while he is reasonably accurate doesn't hit it very far. On the left are the approaches I was left with to the par 4s he teed off at. On the right are those I had in the Medal last week (not even a typical or hopeful tally).

D = deep rough
L = light rough
F = Fairway

1: D209 - F80
3: D235 - L150
7: D240 - L180
9: D170 - F90
11:L200 - D130
13: F130 - F70
17:L260 - D180

I'm playing reasonably well at the moment (that Medal round was 79 gross) but there isn't a hope I could score from there. Most of the time he wasn't reaching the fairway and its left grow up pretty thick in that area before the fairway starts. I had a 3 wood or hybrid in my hand all day and while I got the front edge a few times it doesn't matter if its into a gale or downwind, anyone is going to struggle to get near (let alone on) greens at those ranges consistently, especially out of the rough.

His short game is pretty good, he's a really good putter, his life's ambition is to get to 18 and while I think he can do it it wont be on a windy day and it's going to be bloody hard work getting there. I got a little insight into what it's like being that short. I forgot what it was like being there, even though it was only 6 years ago. Someone made the point that yes Tour pros are longer off the tee, but the courses are longer, so they still have similar length approaches as you and me. Difference is at 200 they're going in with a 7 iron (lets forget about the fact they're awesome for a minute).

I enjoyed the match (we lost on the 17th) and I know that there are some higher hanicaps who hit it a mile, but for anyone who struggles for distance tightening up your short game is only going to get you so far.