Stroke & Distance Procedure Rule ?

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have searched but cannot find anywhere that lays down the procedure one has to take when applying S & D, such as calling through before search time is up and not playing S&D until those called through are out of range,
today as a 2 ball behind a 4 ball when we reached the 10th tee all 4 ahead were in the trees, several minutes later one of them walks onto the fairway directly back to the tee and when he gets within shouting distance of me and my tee`d up ball, I say assume you are calling us thro - answer = I suggested we do that but the other 3 said not to !. anybody help in where I could find such info -

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Look in the Book of Common Sense, because it's not explicitly in the Rules of golf (other than Rule 1.2a).

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tnks Rulie - got that bit but was looking for something heavier to crown them with, was sure I`d read somewhere about the bits was wanting clarifying.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have searched but cannot find anywhere that lays down the procedure one has to take when applying S & D, such as calling through before search time is up and not playing S&D until those called through are out of range,
today as a 2 ball behind a 4 ball when we reached the 10th tee all 4 ahead were in the trees, several minutes later one of them walks onto the fairway directly back to the tee and when he gets within shouting distance of me and my tee`d up ball, I say assume you are calling us thro - answer = I suggested we do that but the other 3 said not to !. anybody help in where I could find such info -

Dig out an old rules book and you will find it in the etiquette section

When the new rules came out in 2019 all clubs were advised to develop their own codes of conduct as the Etiquette section was not included
See Rule 1.2

salfordlad

Visit site
This is not a rules issue, this is not covered in the Official Guide to the Rules of Golf, so there is nowhere to point you to that "lays down the procedure....". Norms vary a little around the world but your best source of guidance will be the Club Captain or Committee members of your club. Even the pro shop may be able to offer constructive guidance (and I don't say that very often).

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a pity. If you had hit when he started walking back you would have played though without any delay. We have a problem with slow play and this gives an indication why.

My only suggestion would be a balanced letter to the committee explaining the circumstances and asking them to communicate with the members about a sensible policy in these circumstances. ie Ball not found, either search and call people waiting through or go to provisional / declare you are out of the hole.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dig out an old rules book and you will find it in the etiquette section

When the new rules came out in 2019 all clubs were advised to develop their own codes of conduct as the Etiquette section was not included
See Rule 1.2
tnks for that beginning to think I had invented it.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a pity. If you had hit when he started walking back you would have played though without any delay. We have a problem with slow play and this gives an indication why.

My only suggestion would be a balanced letter to the committee explaining the circumstances and asking them to communicate with the members about a sensible policy in these circumstances. ie Ball not found, either search and call people waiting through or go to provisional / declare you are out of the hole.
Tnks mjc - he was walking mid fairway directly to the tee presumably to prevent me playing.