Striking ball on practice swing

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the ruling if you accidentally strike your ball on a practice swing.

Looking at this for when the ball is in play not off the tee.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe you replace the ball without penalty ................................... but I may be wrong.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe you replace the ball without penalty ................................... but I may be wrong.

so how it went was the ball was played from where it came to rest, as I was advised this was correct and if the ball had been moved it would be a penalty.

Guess I am wrong but I thought it would be replay with a one stroke penalty

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends if it’s on the tee or not and if your on the green or not

1. Tee - replace the ball no penalty
2. Fairway/rough etc - replace the ball 1 shot penalty
3. Green - replace the ball no penalty

cheers Phil,

This was exactly how I believed it but was advised it had changed within the new rules. The point being it was not a stroke as there was no intent to strike the ball as a practice swing.

Therefore play as it lies no penalty

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends if it’s on the tee or not and if your on the green or not

1. Tee - replace the ball no penalty
2. Fairway/rough etc - replace the ball 1 shot penalty
3. Green - replace the ball no penalty
Above is correct, addition to no. 2 - includes bunkers and penalty areas.
And, if you play the ball from where it moved to, the penalty increases to two strokes (total) for playing from a wrong place.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
so how it went was the ball was played from where it came to rest, as I was advised this was correct and if the ball had been moved it would be a penalty.

Guess I am wrong but I thought it would be replay with a one stroke penalty

Oh dear. You actually copped a 2 stroke penalty (unless your ball was on the putting green) which is all the more annoying for you since you were right in the first place.

As you thought, you should have replaced with a one stroke penalty. Because you didn't, you played from a wrong place and that cost you a two stroke penalty.

As well as the situations in which there is no penalty for causing your ball to move already mentioned, you can add accidentally moving your ball when searching for it.

And I should add that in the teeing area, there is no penalty provided your ball is not yet in play.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh dear. You actually copped a 2 stroke penalty (unless your ball was on the putting green) which is all the more annoying for you since you were right in the first place.

As you thought, you should have replaced with a one stroke penalty. Because you didn't, you played from a wrong place and that cost you a two stroke penalty.

As well as the situations in which there is no penalty for causing your ball to move already mentioned, you can add accidentally moving your ball when searching for it.

And I should add that in the teeing area, there is no penalty provided your ball is not yet in play.
Colin, actually there is no penalty if the ball is in the teeing area regardless of whether it is in play or not (Rule 6.2b(6) which refers to 9.4b, Exception 1). Rgds.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thank you, fortunately for me it was not me who did this.

However the rule the person who did strike the ball cited was that there was no intention to play a shot therefore it did not count as a penalty as the impact was accidental. So no stroke was played. I am unaware of the rule number but apparently it is stated around the basis of intent.

Neither myself or the third Player in our group knew the rule other than our belief it was a penalty.

But I would ask, anyone heard of this ‘Intent’ point before

To me, unless accidentally moved in a search any action which moves a ball in play other than on a green intentionally or not is a penalty and the ball needs to be replaced. Though I maybe wrong here.

Would add, in a good few years of playing this is the first time I have seen this happen.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me, unless accidentally moved in a search any action which moves a ball in play other than on a green intentionally or not is a penalty and the ball needs to be replaced. Though I maybe wrong here

Not wrong but there's an important qualification to make. Add in "other than when the Rules allow" to penalty for intentionally touching or moving your ball in play. I know you know that, but for completion it needs to be said.

However the rule the person who did strike the ball cited was that there was no intention to play a shot therefore it did not count as a penalty as the impact was accidental. So no stroke was played. I am unaware of the rule number but apparently it is stated around the basis of intent.

A practice swing is not counted as a stroke as it is made without the intention of hitting the ball. Moving your ball accidentally with a practice swing can, however, incur a penalty stroke. There are situations in which a stroke is counted and a penalty is applied, but this is not one of them because no actual stroke has been made.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, penalty for hitting it with no intention of doing so, or for playing it from the wrong spot? Confused

It is one shot for penalty for accidental movement of the ball and another one shot penalty if you fail to replace it to it's original position.

salfordlad

Visit site
It’s definitely the tee, in this, if you accidentally strike your ball while practicing the swing on the tee, then you must replace your ball without any penalty. Check Zach Johnson's 13th tee at the masters on youtube.
The bolded words are incorrect. If the accidental movement of a ball occurs on the teeing area there is no penalty AND there is no requirement to replace the ball. If the accidental contact with the ball has moved it out of the teeing area, the ball must be lifted and played from anywhere within the teeing area. If the movement left the ball in the teeing area, the player is free to play as lies or move it anywhere in the teeing area.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A pp accidentally hit his ball with a practice stroke on the green, we double checked that it was no penalty and replace the ball, I have decided that I shall declare every poor putt as a practice swing in future ???

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A pp accidentally hit his ball with a practice stroke on the green, we double checked that it was no penalty and replace the ball, I have decided that I shall declare every putt as a practice swing in future ???

Looks like you made a typo Chris, no worries have corrected for you

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies for the stupid question, but does replacing the ball mean having to find your original or can you just use a different ball? I'm thinking if you spooned it into the bundu with a practice swing do you have to try and find that ball or can you just drop another then go and look (if you want the ball back)?