Stretching for Golf

Wolf

Visit site
Long post alert everyone I'm sorry...

Following on from the injury thread ClubChamp98 asked if I'd put something together using my knowledge as a strength & condtioning coach & rehab PT, to incorporate stretching techniques for golfers. Which would improve lower back issues, strengthen core & improve shoulder mobility & strength, the 3 best I've put in here as they will help all of these areas, but they're not a cure all, if you have discomfort and pain I'll always recommend returning to your Dr.

On top of these stretch techniques if you're able to perform a couple of simple exercise such as Russian Twists, Planks, body weight squats & Glute bridges. These will all improve core strength & help the body stand up to the rigours of the rotational movements the golf swing stresses upon the body.

Downward Dog

Begin on your hands and knees. Align your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
  1. Stretch your elbows and relax your upper back.
  2. Spread your fingers wide and press firmly through your palms and knuckles. Distribute your weight evenly across your hands.
  3. Exhale as you tuck your toes and lift your knees off the floor. Reach your pelvis up toward the ceiling, then draw your tail bone toward the wall behind you. Gently begin to straighten your legs, but do not lock your knees. Bring your body into the shape of an "A." Imagine your hips and thighs being pulled backwards from the top of your thighs. Do not walk your feet closer to your hands — keep the extension of your whole body.
  4. Press the floor away from you as you lift through your pelvis. As you lengthen your spine, lift your tail bone up toward the ceiling. Now press down equally through your heels and the palms of your hands.
  5. Firm the outer muscles of your arms and press your index fingers into the floor. Lift from the inner muscles of your arms to the top of both shoulders. Draw your shoulder blades into your upper back ribs and toward your tailbone. Broaden across your collarbones.
  6. Rotate your arms externally so your elbow creases face your thumbs.
  7. Draw your chest toward your thighs as you continue to press the mat away from you, lengthening and decompressing your spine.
  8. Engage your quadriceps. Rotate your thighs inward as you continue to lift your tail bone high. Sink your heels toward the floor.
  9. Align your ears with your upper arms. Relax your head, but do not let it dangle. Gaze between your legs or toward your navel.
  10. Hold for 5-20 breaths.
  11. To release, exhale as you gently bend your knees and come back to your hands and knees
Child's Pose
  1. From downward facing dog, drop your knees to the floor.
  2. Spread your knees as wide as your mat, keeping the tops of your feet on the floor with the big toes touching.
  3. Bring your belly to rest between your thighs and your forehead to the floor. You can also turn your head to one side with your cheek resting on the floor. If you choose to do that, it's a good idea to switch to the other cheek about halfway through your rest.
  4. There are two possible arm variations. Either stretch your arms in front of you with the palms toward the floor or bring your arms back alongside your thighs with the palms facing upwards. Do whichever feel more comfortable to you
Sphinx Pose

• Lie face down on your tummy.
  • Lift your kneecaps, connect your inner thighs, and press the tops of your feet firmly into the Earth.
  • Slide your hands back until your elbows are directly under your shoulders and press up onto your forearms.
  • Press firmly into your palms (facing down).
  • Send your heart forward and play with the amount of intensity that’s nourishing for you right now.
  • Extend out of the crown of your head and create space between your ears and your shoulders.
  • .Send your breath to any tight places and hold the pose for at least one minute, or longer if it remains comfortable

D

Deleted member 15344

😂😂 love to see these before a meet after a night out - some of the guys on here wouldn’t get up of the ground 😂😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for posting. Those are essentially yoga poses or similar aren't they? I keep wanting to get into yoga as I think it may help me with golf and football now I'm into my 30s, but I've been very lazy in actually going through with it.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for posting. Those are essentially yoga poses or similar aren't they? I keep wanting to get into yoga as I think it may help me with golf and football now I'm into my 30s, but I've been very lazy in actually going through with it.
Don't wait until you need it, prevention is better than cure.
As someone who has suffered chronic lower back pain for ten years I'm only just getting the right information on how to treat it. There's so much guff and misinformation out there.
If I could go back in time I'd be doing some if not all of the above in order to prevent what I've gone through over the last decade.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't wait until you need it, prevention is better than cure.
As someone who has suffered chronic lower back pain for ten years I'm only just getting the right information on how to treat it. There's so much guff and misinformation out there.
If I could go back in time I'd be doing some if not all of the above in order to prevent what I've gone through over the last decade.
Yeah that's my thinking as well, I sit at a desk all day so inflexibility is a real concern, even though I still play football & golf and go to the gym in the evenings/weekends. Just need to get some research done and actually find somewhere that holds yoga classes near me.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do the agile 8 for weights it's by a fitness coach called James Defranco - and it works brilliantly so i just do that for golf - just without the v-sits unless theres a changing room or I've remembered my mat.

Wolf

Visit site
Yes the one's I've put in here are essentially Yoga poses. The reason I chose those was because they're multi joint movements and engage a greater amount of muscles so saves on time of doing lots of small stretches plus they're ideal for golfers as all hit the main areas the body uses for the swing.

If you've been meaning to try it, do it now best to start and use as prevention instead of cure, it will massively improve your flexibility providing you stick to it and help you long term

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes the one's I've put in here are essentially Yoga poses. The reason I chose those was because they're multi joint movements and engage a greater amount of muscles so saves on time of doing lots of small stretches plus they're ideal for golfers as all hit the main areas the body uses for the swing.

If you've been meaning to try it, do it now best to start and use as prevention instead of cure, it will massively improve your flexibility providing you stick to it and help you long term
Yeah I've been Googling all morning, trying to find somewhere local and not too expensive is a bit tricky however. Sure I'll find one eventually. I have a mate who also wants to get into it so that's some added impetus.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I do these yoga poses every day, in addition to the shoulder stand, the up dog, the cobra, and many others. Good for flexibility but they have no effect on the swing.
The Chi Kung muscle tendon change classic is better.