Strategy during one of those rounds

tobybarker

Visit site
You know how it is..... You are having A day when you can't seem to hit a decent ball.

Do you have a way of coping to limit the damage? I tend to try a three quarter swing and try to hit a punchy low shot.... Tricky when you need to hit it high, though... This can get me round in one piece, if not exactly ripping up the course!

Any other tips?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess it depends on your "normal" level of play. I tend to simply try and get it in play off the tee using whatever club will do a job and accept that a bogey can be your friend especially if you get a shot. Get it in play, get it down towards the green, get on and get out in as few putts as you can. Accept you won't pull of any glory shots, accept it is what it is and move on and hope for better next time out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very similar to the OP. 3/4 swing, I move my feet closer together to minimise my movement and try to concentrate on better contact. Foget distance for a few holes as that will come once you start making clean contact again

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Golf can be summed up in 2 ways....
How you hit it
Where you hit it.
If you're duffing/topping/thinning it, keep your head still.
If your direction is off, check your aim and grip

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I drop back to hitting a 1/2 5 iron, if a full 7 iron fails to get me back on track.

Usually the swing comes back from there as I know how to fix my main faults.

Knowing how to fix your bad shot is key to keeping a round going and there is no reason why you can’t get a bogey out of a hole.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
sometimes we just have days when nothing works or goes your way, you have to just except it, and thank god we don't do it for a living;)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Usually I just try and enjoy the scenery etc. and try not to worry to much about the golf and the cause of the bad shots or how to put it right if it persists I will get lessons The one thing I try and consciously do sometimes when playing poorly is lighten my grip as tension is invariably a killer for me and having a loose grip appears to help.
Having said that I'm a fairly high handicapper and wouldn't look to me for tips.