Strange club rule?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We play Saturday and Sunday. The advantage is, on Day 1 go out in handicap order, lowest first. Day 2 we then go out in gross score order, lowest scores last. It means the leaders are playing together on last day, which is stressful but makes it special. I was at another club a few years ago who played 2 rounds in one day. I hated it. It was about 35 degrees celsius and I played with one of the slowest players, having to let a group through. After the first round, we HAD to tee off for the second round 20 minutes later. No food at all. It wasn't golf, it was simply a test of stamina and attrition. In the second round, there was a good chance the leaders were in different groups, so in some respects took the pressure off to some extent, or at least meant they had to play blind.

I think we stopped playing 36 on the same day for similar reasons...you could find yourself going out for 2nd round after barely catching breath after completing 1st. And it limited number of players playing - and as we have handicap comp running in parallel with CC - that wasn't great. Over two days with a top 60 players cut, and with leaders from Day#1 going out last it does make it a little bit special.

OPs club's format is in my eyes not really a Club Championship - but if that's how they've chosen to do it...

Square ball

Visit site
First post, please bear with me.
Club championship is decided by 4 best gross scores over the entire season. The scores are tied over the season by 2 players. How do you decide the tie?
The club have chosen to take the rounds based on lowest numerical score first and done a count back across all 4. The rounds were not used On the same day as the nature of the competition means that would be highly unlikely, does this seem a fair resolution?
Thanks all for you opinions. The competitions are almost all medal and so there are plenty of opportunities to get a score or two in. Agreed that this has not been allowed for. I did however think there may be more offers of a straight tie and a shared winner.
Thanks again, and I hope I can chip in from now on.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for you opinions. The competitions are almost all medal and so there are plenty of opportunities to get a score or two in. Agreed that this has not been allowed for. I did however think there may be more offers of a straight tie and a shared winner.
Thanks again, and I hope I can chip in from now on.
The answer to the question posed was in #2 - the methodology to be used should be set, not subsequently decided.
As such, and given the nature of the competition differing from normal single round ones, there's no real basis for anything other than joint winners (and resolve for next year).
There are so many possible methodologies, and each would have an associated principle with some merit, that personally the acceptance of such joint winners actually seems the best one for me! (Best last round mirrors card countback and favours the latest performance/best overall round favours someone who excelled (but in a period based handicap event can also favour an improving golfer who's handicap has been improving)/ best worst round favours the most consistent golfer...none jump out as the right one to me.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We play Saturday and Sunday. The advantage is, on Day 1 go out in handicap order, lowest first. Day 2 we then go out in gross score order, lowest scores last. It means the leaders are playing together on last day, which is stressful but makes it special. I was at another club a few years ago who played 2 rounds in one day. I hated it. It was about 35 degrees celsius and I played with one of the slowest players, having to let a group through. After the first round, we HAD to tee off for the second round 20 minutes later. No food at all. It wasn't golf, it was simply a test of stamina and attrition. In the second round, there was a good chance the leaders were in different groups, so in some respects took the pressure off to some extent, or at least meant they had to play blind.
We play 36 on one day. As it is gross, we seed the players by handicap so that the last holes are likely be very interesting for spectators and more competitive for players. And all the players get a decent amount of time for a break.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We stopped playing 36 on the same day as some of the senior players complained it was too much for them and we found the size of fields going down. We now have day one in handicap order (best first) and there is a cut for top 60 and ties for day 2 and it then goes out in reverse score order so the ones that did well on day 1 go out last. I really wouldn't feel like a "proper" club champion if it was decided by the best scores over a season and feel it should be decided by one competition, whether that's purely medal over one or two days (36 holes) or a medal qualifier and then knockout (although again, not a preferred method for me)

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds more like an order of merit recognition that a traditional club championship. Club Champs at our place are played over 2 rounds/ 2 consecutive days.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We stopped playing 36 on the same day as some of the senior players complained it was too much for them and we found the size of fields going down. We now have day one in handicap order (best first) and there is a cut for top 60 and ties for day 2 and it then goes out in reverse score order so the ones that did well on day 1 go out last. I really wouldn't feel like a "proper" club champion if it was decided by the best scores over a season and feel it should be decided by one competition, whether that's purely medal over one or two days (36 holes) or a medal qualifier and then knockout (although again, not a preferred method for me)

Just wondering how many of the senior players complaining were realistic contenders for a Club Championship if the winner is lowest aggregate gross? I suspect that not that many - and I suspect that seniors who would be contenders would be fit enough. Certainly a consideration where a Nett competition is run alongside the CC - as we have. And tbh - if weather isn't great then I also struggle a bit doing 36 holes in a day - so over two days works for me also - I note that I'm not a CC contender - not quite yet...

Of course some members don't like playing it over two days as it takes the whole weekend up. So can't please everyone - ever...