Stourbridge Golf Club

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing in a comp at Stourbridge GC in a couple of weeks time. Anybody played there recently or able to offer any advice on the track having not played there before.

Also does anybody have a spare stroke saver kicking around they wouldn't mind sending over? I'll obviously cover the cost of a first class stamp ;)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in a comp at Stourbridge GC in a couple of weeks time. Anybody played there recently or able to offer any advice on the track having not played there before.

Also does anybody have a spare stroke saver kicking around they wouldn't mind sending over? I'll obviously cover the cost of a first class stamp ;)

Bigfoot's your man !

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played there a couple of weeks back.
Pro shop didn't have any stroke savers, and watch out of you're using a GPS, I couldn't understand why mine was often hundreds of yards out, until I found out that they'd switched the 17th and 18th holes making them the new 1st and 2nd! SO if your GPS seems odd then advance it two holes and all should be good.

As for the course, it's not long but it's pretty tight, I was told that it sits on the smallest acreage in England for an 18 hole course.
Some crossing fairways, driver use should be kept to a minimum. Greens were good, I enjoyed it.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bigfoot's your man !

I'm here !!

Nick is correct about it being the largest course on the smallest acreage and that they have swapped a few holes around. It was to avoid players walking across the old 16th fairway to the first tee. The old 17th is now the first and old 16th is the 18th.

I have never had a strokesaver for the course but the main key is to keep it straight and make sure you hit extra club uphill as the few slopes are severe. It is really on two levels. The original - lower level was the racecourse in the 19th century and became the first nine holes. Eventually, it was extended to 18 with advice by Henry Cotton, I think.

You have to be careful playing the 9th as it is crossed by both the 5th and 6th at right angles, so watch both ways before crossing when playing these three holes.

The course should be in good condition as I heard good reports this year but have not played for a couple of years.

Hope you enjoy the day but ask if you have any more questions.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm here !!

Nick is correct about it being the largest course on the smallest acreage and that they have swapped a few holes around. It was to avoid players walking across the old 16th fairway to the first tee. The old 17th is now the first and old 16th is the 18th.

I have never had a strokesaver for the course but the main key is to keep it straight and make sure you hit extra club uphill as the few slopes are severe. It is really on two levels. The original - lower level was the racecourse in the 19th century and became the first nine holes. Eventually, it was extended to 18 with advice by Henry Cotton, I think.

You have to be careful playing the 9th as it is crossed by both the 5th and 6th at right angles, so watch both ways before crossing when playing these three holes.

The course should be in good condition as I heard good reports this year but have not played for a couple of years.

Hope you enjoy the day but ask if you have any more questions.

Cheers Bigfoot!

Looking forward to it having never played there before. Always enjoy playing courses for the first time! Yeah I heard you need to keep it fairly straight so will probably opt for hybrids off the tee I reckon given my recent driver/wood woes!