Stock piling , panic buying.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Reports coming in of refuse collectors taking away piles and piles of out of date food in bins from all the stockpiling........

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Because of their some out - some in policy, had to queue for 45 minutes to get into our Tesco today - but then, it was sunny, and I had nothing better to do. The queue actually looked massive until you realised quite how strung out it was.

Was lovely inside though - would consider queuing every time if you could shop without any crowds. Got pretty much everything we wanted/needed although there seemed to be some strange gaps - often for strange items. Main gripe is who keeps taking all the flour? And Mrs B only likes one brand of tea - and they only had teeny tiny little boxes of them or an enormous sackful. So we're now sorted for tea bags until Christmas. Otherwise can probably now stay safe inside Castle Backwoods & avoid shops for the best part of a fortnight.

Ps: dont tell anyone else, but they had those "things" - you know, the ones that come out of chickens ...

Been looking for SR flour for two weeks now.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been looking to replenish stocks of bread flour. Who knew, two weeks ago, that everyone made their own freakin bread.
They don't. They're all putting it in their cupboard and will be throwing it out in 6 months along with the weird pasta that they don't really like, the risotto rice that they can't cook properly etc etc etc etc...
At least the loo roll will keep.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
We have pasta and rice meals combined about 3/4 times a week. We didn't do any panic buying and we are now going to have to change our eating habits if we can't get any soon. I did manage buy some egg noodles though, and will be trying that as a substitute for linguini. :D

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have pasta and rice meals combined about 3/4 times a week. We didn't do any panic buying and we are now going to have to change our eating habits if we can't get any soon. I did manage buy some egg noodles though, and will be trying that as a substitute for linguini. :D

As a non pasta eater (since the beginning of the year) I've taken to using vegetable alternatives and they are perfectly OK... Also cauli rice isn't too bad as an alternative...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our local windfarm grant funding group has sent out a £20 voucher to every home in it's area to be used at the local/village food shops.
5 villages and a small sized town must have amounted to a fair bit of money.
Villages shops are playing a fantastic roll in this crisis, I just hope we all remember them when it is over.
Must confess that we could/should use them more often

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a non pasta eater (since the beginning of the year) I've taken to using vegetable alternatives and they are perfectly OK... Also cauli rice isn't too bad as an alternative...

I actually prefer courgette "noodles" as not a big pasta eater. The cauli rice doesn't quite cut it but an option at least.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So Richard Branson (tax Exile, billionaire) wants UK state aid for the Virgin Airline (registered in low tax Ireland).

Cruise operator PO wants aid for ships flagged out of Panama. !

If these businesses involve in tax avoidance and other tax exiles want aid then don't come asking the UK :mad:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So Richard Branson (tax Exile, billionaire) wants UK state aid for the Virgin Airline (registered in low tax Ireland).

If these businesses involve in tax avoidance and other tax exiles want aid then don't come asking the UK :mad:

I read that & seriously consider moving back to Sky. But then are their business practices any different?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Morrisons food box is on the way.
It was at Hinkley last night, Glasgow this morning being delivered sometime today by DPD. We are usually last on the DPD delivery run so probably about 6-8pm tonight.
Has fresh stuff like milk and bacon on board according to the picture, 500+ mile journey, hope the main part was refrigerated.:unsure:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our local windfarm grant funding group has sent out a £20 voucher to every home in it's area to be used at the local/village food shops.
5 villages and a small sized town must have amounted to a fair bit of money.
Villages shops are playing a fantastic roll in this crisis, I just hope we all remember them when it is over.
Must confess that we could/should use them more often

Like many in our village we have donated our vouchers back into the system to help the local folk bank folk target the most vulnerable (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I didn't realise Virgin airlines were registered in Ireland although now you mention it it does not surprise me. Not sure why he is asking the UK govt for aid then, should he not be speaking to the Taoiseach?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And back to panic buying, what's with the fresh chicken?
I've seen everything back on the shelves apart from flour and poultry.
Flour I can understand, as there's normally a pretty low demand for bread flour, and it must be really hard to change the supply chain. But fresh chicken? Are people changing their diet? It doesn't even have a particularly long shelf life. Other meat seems fine.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My Morrisons food box is on the way.
It was at Hinkley last night, Glasgow this morning being delivered sometime today by DPD. We are usually last on the DPD delivery run so probably about 6-8pm tonight.
Has fresh stuff like milk and bacon on board according to the picture, 500+ mile journey, hope the main part was refrigerated.:unsure:
Are yo that far north? From Leicestershire to your place can't be that far surely. If it was coming from Hinkley Point, then maybe; but you'd not need to worry about it going off so much as other effects it might have! :cautious: