Stock piling , panic buying.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our village has joined together to buy free range eggs from a local guy who rescues ex battery hens. The orders have grown and grown and now the chickens have gone on strike and stopped laying!

I used to get eggs from a guy that ran a pets corner in a local park... One day he asked my age and on advising him I was just past 60 he said he couldn't let me have eggs anymore... His 'ladies' weren't certificated and deemed, therefore, as not safe for old folk! Not sure whether I was more disappointed at not being able to have his eggs or being deemed as "old folk"...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heard somewhere once you get one slot you can then get them often

Highly doubt that is true unless you are on a vulnerable persons lists.

I think this is probably something just said to help them feel better, maybe a touch of guilt about getting a slot that could have gone to a more vulnerable person.

IMO they shouldn’t feel guilty about it if they choose to use it, the shop should be ensuing vulnerable people get the slots first.

We are getting slots every now and again, just by checking often and bagging a slot when it comes available then filling the basket as the week goes by. We have got used to shopping for the week after next now.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
What genius is behind that idea. I may have to move back to the Uk if only it wasn't for this pesky virus

Dominos did them around 4 years ago and I’ve seen some beer battered ones in morrissons lately but wildly expensive for a few bites. Must be something that snuck in from trump-land.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think this is probably something just said to help them feel better, maybe a touch of guilt about getting a slot that could have gone to a more vulnerable person.

IMO they shouldn’t feel guilty about it if they choose to use it, the shop should be ensuing vulnerable people get the slots first.

We are getting slots every now and again, just by checking often and bagging a slot when it comes available then filling the basket as the week goes by. We have got used to shopping for the week after next now.

Likewise. I think Tesco release slots held for vulnerable people when they're not taken. So usually released for the coming week and nothing too far in advance.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I know you can call up and tell them your vunerable (if you are ofc) and they enable the slots to be shown on your account

Wouldn't surprise me if true though, since getting my first click and collect I have zero trouble getting a slot now. Once a week click and collect

Will either pop to a petrol station or if parents are going ask them to Pick up bread and milk 3 days after the slot to cover until the next slot

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Did my weekly shop in morrisons today. They organised it very well outside but inside it was carnage. Loads of people filling shelves so little room get by them, they let far too many shoppers in, families wandering round with 2 small trollies blocking aisles, seemed most had given up on social distancing inside.

I really don't want to do on line food shopping as I am not vulnerable, NHS or old and the slots should go to them. But they are not overly encouraging me to go in store. I'll stick to sainsburys next time as they control the in store experience a lot better from my experience.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The size of the shop definitely makes a difference.
We have a huge Tesco and a big Tesco
We have a medium Morrisons and a small Sainsbury's
Morrisons just about has room for 2 to pass down one aisle, Sainsbury's doesn't
Both tesco have plenty of room.
I go to Tesco....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did my weekly shop in morrisons today. They organised it very well outside but inside it was carnage. Loads of people filling shelves so little room get by them, they let far too many shoppers in, families wandering round with 2 small trollies blocking aisles, seemed most had given up on social distancing inside.

I really don't want to do on line food shopping as I am not vulnerable, NHS or old and the slots should go to them. But they are not overly encouraging me to go in store. I'll stick to sainsburys next time as they control the in store experience a lot better from my experience.

Have you tried click and collect? Very well done. Leaves the delivery slots free for those who need them most

I've got my next one Thursday after My night shift keep the journeys down to a minimum

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did people see this?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3rtl415QGp5fbS7LcKRmkXg/life-under-lockdown-in-numbers
Only 6% of all households were panic buying and stock piling!

It surely felt a lot higher, didn’t it?

We moved from buying every other day to a weekly shop, maybe a lot did just that and that was what the shops adjusted to by now?

And on a positive note, we finally got baking powder ;-)

As did I yesterday - I can make myself some nice fluffy cheese scones again ....

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went to the supermarket just before it rained (Thanks Dark Sky App) and there was literally no queue when I arrived as people had retreated to their car to shelter. I just wore waterproof jacket...