Stick, or twist?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So after a very poor round yesterday, my intentions are to get a lesson with my pro (probably a course of lessons) to allow me to put a lot of work in over the winter!

One question for the more informed members of the forum, just so that I have more of an idea when I rock up to the lesson. I realise it will vary person to person, but I am interested in a general consensus.

Basically, I have an "over the top" swing, that results in an out to in swing, which somedays is fairly straight, but other days results either in a big pull left, or a massive slice. Who knows what is turning up each day.

My question is, do I stick with the out to in swing, try to mellow the effects, and get it so that I know, 90% of the time, the ball will move left to right, by varying amounts? (my step dad has this, has accepted it, and got down to single figures with it, so I know it's an option)

OR, do I try and change the swing path to more of a straight return, or even an in to out? I realise this will be a lot more work, but is it worth it?

I know one of the main problems with my swing is a tendency to throw my arms over, and really lead with my arms to get power!

Any thoughts appreciated. I've been told a lot that on a good day, I have the ability to hit the ball better than a 21 handicapper, but I lose way to many balls off the tee to score well for a whole round!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
by planning to put a lot of work in over winter I would rock up to the lesson speak to your pro let him have a look at what youve got discuss the amount of work and lessons you are able to do and see which way he thinks best.

If you do twist be prepared to stay off the course or suffer some poor rounds it could feel like starting over!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It depends how much time, effort, and grief you are prepared to accept. Do you want a band aid, or a heart transplant? Only you can answer that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends how much time, effort, and grief you are prepared to accept. Do you want a band aid, or a heart transplant? Only you can answer that.

That's the truth, but I would say that if you're prepared to put the work in to eradicate the problem then you will Improve dramatically and you will enjoy your golf much more

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the truth, but I would say that if you're prepared to put the work in to eradicate the problem then you will Improve dramatically and you will enjoy your golf much more

Ok, so you're saying that playing consistently with a fade wouldn't be as enjoyable? This does kind of resonate with my step dad, who has said that he doesn't play as much, as he did get bored hitting the same (bad) shot all day every day.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, so you're saying that playing consistently with a fade wouldn't be as enjoyable?

But you don't hit a consistent fade- you hit pulls and slices. I think that's what Chris was referring to when he said 'eradicate the problem'.

This does kind of resonate with my step dad, who has said that he doesn't play as much, as he did get bored hitting the same (bad) shot all day every day.

What is his same 'bad' shot? Is it aiming left and finishing waaaay right? If so, then it's a club vs path issue.

Is it aiming left and finishing centrally? If so, then it's a Tiger Woods shot.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A consistent fade can be a thing of beauty. It doesn't have to be caused by a swing fault either, well, no more so than any other shot. Plenty of tour players don't draw the ball.
Itsmore that you need to work out what you want to do with lessons. If you are going to try a fix for a week, then revert back when success isn't instant, a quick fix is the answer. If you are prepared to write off months, then start from scratch, and stick with it.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Id learn to play with it. I have the same problem ( if it is such a thing) and am trying to work on keeping wide on the back swing use my shoulders more and arms less..... Some better results and it is easy to control a fade than a hook! Once the confidence is there then you could perhaps look at drawing the ball ( if I need a draw off the tee I use a 3 wood its easier for me) as you become more in control of the ball. As has been said a lot of good tour players fade the ball naturally and Im a fan of natural! ;) Changing the whole swing path if you are a player that has always faded, is a v difficult fix and might add long term frustration.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Make the change!

Out to in path & throwing the arms are fundamental problems, which you already know are causing you serious issues especially off the tee. Along with the big fade/slice I assume you also fat the ball some days, thin it on others, struggle for distance, and balloon in the wind?

Block book some lessons, get some drills from the coach, put in the work, and reap the rewards in the end.

PS: if you want any pointers on the mental side of making a swing change just give me a shout

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
OR, do I try and change the swing path to more of a straight return, or even an in to out? I realise this will be a lot more work, but is it worth it?

It actually depends on a few other things... but I would tend to say IF YOU CAN then always swing straight.

There really is NO SUCH THING as an in-to-out swing... believe me... you really don't want to be doing that. The swing should be straight but due to geometry we actually catch the ball a little from the inside.... and that's that.... we don't swing OUT away from our bodies.... well we certainly shouldn't TRY to. That's called 'Stucksville'.... just close to 'Fatsville', 'Blocksville' and 'Shanksville'.

If you can swing down your toe line... you should.

Over the top is generally people trying to hit the ball with a shoulder rotation... it's fixable and worth it in many cases. How old are you by the way and how far would you say you can hit a 7-iron comfortably?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I decided to stick a couple of months ago, but I keep trying to take a sneaky peek at the next card! :mad:

I think it depends what type of person you are. If you're happy to knock it round without embarrassing yourself and just be out in the fresh air then stick.
If you want to see how good you can be and are prepared for frustration and determination along the way then twist.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It actually depends on a few other things... but I would tend to say IF YOU CAN then always swing straight.

There really is NO SUCH THING as an in-to-out swing... believe me... you really don't want to be doing that. The swing should be straight but due to geometry we actually catch the ball a little from the inside.... and that's that.... we don't swing OUT away from our bodies.... well we certainly shouldn't TRY to. That's called 'Stucksville'.... just close to 'Fatsville', 'Blocksville' and 'Shanksville'.

If you can swing down your toe line... you should.

Over the top is generally people trying to hit the ball with a shoulder rotation... it's fixable and worth it in many cases. How old are you by the way and how far would you say you can hit a 7-iron comfortably?

Thank you for the input everybody, all very worthwhile!

With regards to your questions JO, i'm only young at 25, and my comfortable 7 iron would probably carry 150-155 recently. On a good day this goes out to 170+ when I'm really going after it.

I think I have seen the light, and it does make sense to try and put the hours in over the winter to learn a new path. I did consider trying to teach myself, but I don't think it's worth it, I know i'll cause more problems than I'll fix, by no doubt sliding my hips or something else I'm not sure I'm doing!

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS: if you want any pointers on the mental side of making a swing change just give me a shout

May have to take you up on this at some point! The amount of rounds recently where I have an actually decent front 9, mix of pars and bogeys, and then it goes downhill on the back 9! This might be a "warming up" thing as much as mental though!

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Annoyingly the pro I went to last time (only had 1 lesson, but got on really well with him and his style) doesn't teach weekends over the winter. His colleague does, but I don't know if I will or won't get on with him and his style as well!