Stick or twist? What would you do?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not long back from the monthy stableford at my gaff.

Course was in beautiful nick, baked hard fairways and the greens starting to brown a little. No way would a ball be holding on them today.

Anywho, I came in with 34 points which should stop my run of 0.1's, but after counting up and signing for my score, something really stood out to me.

Our 18th is a par 5, and has an index low enough for me to get a shot on it. I'm stood on the tee with 30 points. I didn't know I had 30 points as I don't like to count my score as I go round.

I'm in the position that, CSS dependant, a par (nett birdie) would see me just about make buffer with 33 points. As it stood I made a birdie 4 (nett 3), giving me 4 points to finish which should comfortably see me buffer with 34 points.

If you were in the position I was standing on the 18th tee, with the difference being you know you're on 30 points, how would you play the hole?

Would knowing your score on the tee before you'd teed off, knowing what you need, make you play the hole differently?

Would you look to make a par and hope CSS did you a favor? Would you try and be more aggressive with your shot choice and look to make a birdie knowing errors causing bogey isn't going to be good enough?

What would you do?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The thing is, with CSS being a movable feast, you just don't know.
There might be 2 ways to play the hole. It could be a risky birdie chance or a safe par..a par might be enough but sometimes you need a birdie - without knowing what your target is you have a dilemma....
A week or so ago I stood on the 17th knowing I needed Eagle, birdie finish to have a chance - didn't make it but even if I had, CSS may have moved so eagle, eagle was needed...
My thoughts on CSS are well documented and this isn't really a debate about that.
But at the end of the day, without a fixed target, I don't know what you would do.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd play aggressively, it's the only way I know how. As soon as I start to think strategically or consider a safer option, it inevitably goes a bit awry. Go for it, what's to lose?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If I was ok and I was playing well I'd pretty much always go for it. I don't mean wrecklessly but I wouldn't go safe unless I had a potential comp winning score and then I still wouldn't go ultra safe on the basis but I'd try and avoid obvious problem areas

phil78

Club Champion
Visit site
A shot at a time.
It'd be hit the drive and thendI'd decide, lie/distance depending.

At least I'd like to think that. At our 18th I keep going for it and putting it in the ditch in front of the green :(

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I stood on our 18th with 35 points on Wednesday... I knew I had hit buffer and thought what the hell just go for it. I did and had a mare but managed a bogie from the hole to get me to 37 points. I finished 2nd and received no cut as the winner had 47 points :angry: Can you tell I'm still annoyed? :rant:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I stood on our 18th with 35 points on Wednesday... I knew I had hit buffer and thought what the hell just go for it. I did and had a mare but managed a bogie from the hole to get me to 37 points. I finished 2nd and received no cut as the winner had 47 points :angry: Can you tell I'm still annoyed? :rant:

The winner having 47 points has no more bearing on CSS(and you getting cut) than someone hitting the buffer zone.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well this is what I don't get, only one other player had 34 points yet a comp a few weeks ago had only 3 players in and they shot 42,41,41 yet the CSS was 70:confused:

I am still new to this HCP malarkey so give please forgive me...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play your normal game is my answer. Some of us are aggressive golfers and some of us play a more cautious game. Neither way is wrong IMO. The aggressive golfer might make a lot more birdies, but the flip side is he will make a lot more bogeys and always be risking a double.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can only control your own ball. Hit the tee shot, see where it finishes and assess the next shot from there. You can't stand on any tee and dictate you will score a par or birdie. You can only hit one shot at a time

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well this is what I don't get, only one other player had 34 points yet a comp a few weeks ago had only 3 players in and they shot 42,41,41 yet the CSS was 70:confused:

I am still new to this HCP malarkey so give please forgive me...

CSS is a confusing beast all related to the number of scores in buffer and lots of other variables no point getting hung up on it it's the rules you just have to wait and what computer say!!!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not long back from the monthy stableford at my gaff.

Course was in beautiful nick, baked hard fairways and the greens starting to brown a little. No way would a ball be holding on them today.

Anywho, I came in with 34 points which should stop my run of 0.1's, but after counting up and signing for my score, something really stood out to me.

Our 18th is a par 5, and has an index low enough for me to get a shot on it. I'm stood on the tee with 30 points. I didn't know I had 30 points as I don't like to count my score as I go round.

I'm in the position that, CSS dependant, a par (nett birdie) would see me just about make buffer with 33 points. As it stood I made a birdie 4 (nett 3), giving me 4 points to finish which should comfortably see me buffer with 34 points.

If you were in the position I was standing on the 18th tee, with the difference being you know you're on 30 points, how would you play the hole?

Would knowing your score on the tee before you'd teed off, knowing what you need, make you play the hole differently?

Would you look to make a par and hope CSS did you a favor? Would you try and be more aggressive with your shot choice and look to make a birdie knowing errors causing bogey isn't going to be good enough?

What would you do?

I was in a similar scenario stood on 18th with 30points thinking a par nett birdie and a bit of luck with CSS I make buffer.
So aggressive drive never to been seen again pro V and another 0.1for me!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
in stroke play anyone influenced by their own score on the 18th tee (or earlier) is at a huge disadvantage

in match play anyone influenced by their opponents tee shots is at a huge disadvantage

the end

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I cant dictate when I will get a birdie. I can, on quite a few par 5s, play safe and pretty much guarantee a par.

im not long enough to reach in two comfortably. there is plenty who can! once I start banging 3 or 4 woods or even driver off the deck, all manner of hell can break loose.

birdied two out of three today though. driver, 19 hybrid, putt putt, driver 19 hybrid chip putt. ta very much ! :thup:

id rather know where I was in gareths position. good score going, no id rather be blind. but on the cusp of buffer, lets have a firm target in mind. 30 points, lets go for it!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK someones got to say it, its a par 5, tee it high with the driver, hit it hard, go and find it then hit it hard again. Then wherever it is at that point do your best! (or as a forumite hit driver wedge into the green and hole the putt hehe)

Sorry to say this mate but you really are over thinking things, play the hole or even just the shot in front of you, your score will be whatever it will be

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK someones got to say it, its a par 5, tee it high with the driver, hit it hard, go and find it then hit it hard again. Then wherever it is at that point do your best! (or as a forumite hit driver wedge into the green and hole the putt hehe)

Sorry to say this mate but you really are over thinking things, play the hole or even just the shot in front of you, your score will be whatever it will be

Got to agree with you. It's a par 5, just give it a smack off the tee and take it from there.