Steriod knee injections

Visit site
A colleague at my club had a Unicompartmental knee replacement TWO WEEKS ago (half knee). Steroid injections had not worked for him.
He is not only walking pain free without sticks, but he has so much more mobility.....he can scarcely believe the improvement. He imagined he would be unable to play golf for a minimum of three months.....now he is thinking of mid January, i.e.6 weeks. Incredible! If it's arthritis, it will never get better as I understand it's bone on bone. He would defintely recommend knee replacement, but I reckon he had an exceptional surgeon going the job.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A colleague at my club had a Unicompartmental knee replacement TWO WEEKS ago (half knee). Steroid injections had not worked for him.
He is not only walking pain free without sticks, but he has so much more mobility.....he can scarcely believe the improvement. He imagined he would be unable to play golf for a minimum of three months.....now he is thinking of mid January, i.e.6 weeks. Incredible! If it's arthritis, it will never get better as I understand it's bone on bone. He would defintely recommend knee replacement, but I reckon he had an exceptional surgeon going the job.
My mate a international footballer had a knee replacement. ( late 40s)
He played off 8 but was in constant pain using a buggy
12 months later he is off 2 and like a spring chicken and carrying again.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking for advice on what's the best-cushioned golf shoes that might help my back pain.
I've found that walking on hard ground for more than 5 or 6 holes makes my lower back ache.
I can play 18 holes with no pain using a buggy so it's defo the walking/pounding that's causing my back to ache.

Springveldt

Visit site
Looking for advice on what's the best-cushioned golf shoes that might help my back pain.
I've found that walking on hard ground for more than 5 or 6 holes makes my lower back ache.
I can play 18 holes with no pain using a buggy so it's defo the walking/pounding that's causing my back to ache.
I love the Adidas Tour360 shoes but I'd imagine the others with the Boost "technology" in them will be just as comfortable. I'll also be getting Boost trainers shortly as my current trainers have next to no cushioning and are killing my feet.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All
Struggling with knee pain , have damaged/ torn minscus , (sp)
First course of treatment is steroid injection into the knee, just had it yesterday, should see lmprovement in 2 weeks r so im told ..

Anyone had this ? How did it gogolf wise and lifestyle wise ?

Thanks in Advance
Bill

Having had 4 surgeries on each knee to remove torn / frayed meniscus my own experience would be to tell you to to get the operation done sooner rather than later. The tear will get worse and when it floats around the joint you'll leg will lock out and the pain will be bad. The injection will ask the pain but ultimately the problem will get worse.

I now don't have any meniscus in etiher knee (effectively bone on bone in the joint) and it ended my ability to do any sport that involved running (hence I took up golf) The arthritis has kicked in but it doesn't effect my golf (yet), however I'm too young to have knee replacement.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@bladeplayer just wondering how the knee is getting on? 6 weeks ago I had 1/3rd pint of fluid removed from my left knee & cortisone injected. All is good with it. Had similar done to the other knee some 16 years ago when they then spotted that I had a hammer toe which was treated. All good again though both knees 75years of wear & tear.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I have couple of meniscal tears in my left knee.. Happened 4 years ago. Still painful. Exacerbated earlier this year by a new physio exercise. Surgery not appropriate apparently. Each new physio has the answer and it never works. Latest physio wants me to stop all current exercises and do completely new ones. It's a nightmare. Have asked to be refered back to MSK unit at hospital.

Currently taking Naproxen after a bad flare up last week.

Half a bottle of wine is the best painkiller.

Not sure if I can walk even 9 on the golf course at the moment but will attempt on Friday.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I love the Adidas Tour360 shoes but I'd imagine the others with the Boost "technology" in them will be just as comfortable. I'll also be getting Boost trainers shortly as my current trainers have next to no cushioning and are killing my feet.
I didn’t know they did “ Boost” golf shoes. But I have two pairs of Boost trainers and they’re like carpet slippers. 👍

Springveldt

Visit site
I didn’t know they did “ Boost” golf shoes. But I have two pairs of Boost trainers and they’re like carpet slippers. 👍
Yep, the Tour 360, CodeChaos and a couple of others have the Boost midsole. I cheaped out on a new pair early in the year and got a pair of S2G SL shoes which I've worn 3 times as they just aren't as comfortable as the Boost shoes. Ended up buying a pair of Code Chaos as well and now I see the Tour 360 SL are on offer for £84 in white and £70 in black and I'm tempted to get a pair. Wife would go mental though if I bought 3 pairs of golf shoes within 4 months.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most comfortable shoe I've had are Decathlons own brand, better than my Footjoys.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
@bladeplayer just wondering how the knee is getting on? 6 weeks ago I had 1/3rd pint of fluid removed from my left knee & cortisone injected. All is good with it. Had similar done to the other knee some 16 years ago when they then spotted that I had a hammer toe which was treated. All good again though both knees 75years of wear & tear.
Evening Sir . Sorry havent been on . Injection did no good what so ever, waste of time and euros..went to a very good physio. Did deep massage and dry needling . Cant fix the knee but main pain was all the muscles etc locked up to compensate. Back walking playing golf (knee strap on ) . New lease of life . Stopped doing stretches then of course and pain came back .. back at it again now.
Golf wise , won a scratch cup and lowest HI ever, maybe swinging easier works 😄

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening Sir . Sorry havent been on . Injection did no good what so ever, waste of time and euros..went to a very good physio. Did deep massage and dry needling . Cant fix the knee but main pain was all the muscles etc locked up to compensate. Back walking playing golf (knee strap on ) . New lease of life . Stopped doing stretches then of course and pain came back .. back at it again now.
Golf wise , won a scratch cup and lowest HI ever, maybe swinging easier works 😄
Thanks for getting back..... a shame the steroids didn't work but great that you're finding other ways to deal with it. Amazing that your game has come on.

D

Deleted member 1740

I have couple of meniscal tears in my left knee.. Happened 4 years ago. Still painful. Exacerbated earlier this year by a new physio exercise. Surgery not appropriate apparently. Each new physio has the answer and it never works. Latest physio wants me to stop all current exercises and do completely new ones. It's a nightmare. Have asked to be refered back to MSK unit at hospital.

Currently taking Naproxen after a bad flare up last week.

Half a bottle of wine is the best painkiller.

Not sure if I can walk even 9 on the golf course at the moment but will attempt on Friday.
I'm having keyhole in a fortnights time to have my meniscus sorted out. Struggled the last 18 months or so with it in my right knee.