Statistics

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a search on here and well the answer did not pop up in the first page , so I thought I would start a new thread!

I thought I would quickly work out my stats , having played a match play pairs competition round, I was told I was consistent .. which did surprise me as I thought I was a bit unreliable and random.

Now looking back on the numbers my figures suggest I am
My Fairways in play , ignoring par 3s was 9/15 - the 6 misses were bunkers or behind trees
Par 3s in regulation was 2/3 - the 1 miss trickled off the side pin high at 180 yards
but the bad numbers are :
Greens in regulation 7/18 - I had 3 trickle off the edge or over the back and counted those as misses. ( I think this could be 5/15 if we ignore the par 3s which makes it worse)

Putting stats, I have not got but it’s probably around 1.7-2.0 per green.
Now thinking about it, my game is not as bad as I thought and the key areas are GIR and the putting ( but that gets better as the GIR improves) .
The GIR must be a mind set thing, like actually playing to the centre as opposed to playing to a flag and also shot distance ( I was trying to play long and not short .. which generally worked but the 205 yard 4 hybrid went 225 yards as it was flushed out of a low spin lie)
I also think my game around the green needs some work …

Have I interpreted this correctly? Or have I missed something?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a search on here and well the answer did not pop up in the first page , so I thought I would start a new thread!

I thought I would quickly work out my stats , having played a match play pairs competition round, I was told I was consistent .. which did surprise me as I thought I was a bit unreliable and random.

Now looking back on the numbers my figures suggest I am
My Fairways in play , ignoring par 3s was 9/15 - the 6 misses were bunkers or behind trees
Par 3s in regulation was 2/3 - the 1 miss trickled off the side pin high at 180 yards
but the bad numbers are :
Greens in regulation 7/18 - I had 3 trickle off the edge or over the back and counted those as misses. ( I think this could be 5/15 if we ignore the par 3s which makes it worse)

Putting stats, I have not got but it’s probably around 1.7-2.0 per green.
Now thinking about it, my game is not as bad as I thought and the key areas are GIR and the putting ( but that gets better as the GIR improves) .
The GIR must be a mind set thing, like actually playing to the centre as opposed to playing to a flag and also shot distance ( I was trying to play long and not short .. which generally worked but the 205 yard 4 hybrid went 225 yards as it was flushed out of a low spin lie)
I also think my game around the green needs some work …

Have I interpreted this correctly? Or have I missed something?

Thats a very old school approach to stats, there are better ways of looking at them these days ie shots gained etc, off the tee look at drives in play rather than actual fairways hit, being in the first cut with a clear shot to the green is fine and should count as such. If youre interested in looking at stats more worth reading Every shot counts by Mark Broadie

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Putting will get worse as GIR improves. And as fundy hints, fairways hit is pretty meaningless, Someone in the semi 340 yards down the hole with half a wedge in has hit a much more effective drive than someone in the middle of the fairway with a 3 wood left to the green.

Strokes gained is now the standard but its rarely free...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I record lots of stats for my rounds in a nice Excel document, things like % fairways hit, greens in reg, up and downs, number of putts. I do absolutely nothing with them afterwards, but nice to look at. :LOL:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
In terms of raw data, it’s a good start. However, bearing mind your h’cap your targets will be a little different than those of a 28 handicapper. For your GIR, consider distance from the hole - hitting every green but being 50ft away each time is vastly different than hitting every green and being no more than 15ft away each time. And is being a foot off the fairway them same as being in knee high grass 50ft off the fairway with trees and bushes in the way.

Several years ago I finished with a putting average of 24, which sounds fantastic, but my GIR was embarrassing. Missing greens by 5ft and getting up and down… great up and down ratio but birdies per round was poor because of the lack of short birdie chances.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can prove (and disprove) just about any theory with statistics. Some people might say they are a bad putter as they often 3 putt, but is it really their chipping/approach play that is bad and leaving too long a putt? Only stat that counts is the score at the end of the round ;)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay so for me I don’t consider a fairway hit if it’s not in the range of the club I used off the tee… so topping it to the edge of the fairway cut is a miss.
Every tee shot is played to a position for a second shot, if that is not possible then it’s a miss, as well.
So I think I might be applying some of the stuff sub consciously, but for me the strokes gained term is a little cloudy as to what it precisely means .. does it factor in handicap ?
All I want to know is where I could improve and I think it’s not unreasonable to then set a target of having a GIR from x yards in of y % which gets bigger as you get closer. But then I suppose you then start to look at what constitutes a birdie opportunity as well .. but I will park that for now I think I need to get my GIR up and improve my recovery game.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Strokes gaines tells you how many shots it should take to get into the hole from a specific distance normally based on a tour pro, or scratch golfer. So if a hole is say 440 yards, you would expect a pro to take 4.4 shots to complete. If your drive finished in the hole, its in effect saved (gained) you 3.4 shots compared to the pro.

If you hit it 300 down the fairway, leaving 140 yards. A distance which would take a pro only 3.1 shots to get into the hole from, your drive has effectively gained 0.3 shots, because it hasmade the hole likely to take 4.1 shots rather than 4.4.

If your shot from 140 then ended up 60 feet away on the green well, from 60 feet it takes a pro 2.4 shots to hole out, so your predicted score has now moved to 4.5 your approach has lost you 0.4 strokes.

You 2 putt scoring a 4, in in effect gaining .5 of a stroke putting means in total on the hole you gained, .4 of a shot on the pro

Most stats would rate the hole as, fairwsy hit, gir, 2 putt regulation 4. Bang average. No info to improve.

Strokes gained however tells you you hit a great drive, an awful approach, and made a great 2 putt. So its clear where improvement is required.

Now obviously, a single hole can have so many intricate dealings that it needs to be worked out over more than one hole, (maybe the 300 yard drive didnt reach the dogleg and the 140 yard approach was a 60 yard draw onto a baked hard green etc etc) but after a number of holes ot quicklu becomes clear where most shots are being lost, and in effect where you need to address...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strokes gaines tells you how many shots it should take to get into the hole from a specific distance normally based on a tour pro, or scratch golfer. So if a hole is say 440 yards, you would expect a pro to take 4.4 shots to complete. If your drive finished in the hole, its in effect saved (gained) you 3.4 shots compared to the pro.

If you hit it 300 down the fairway, leaving 140 yards. A distance which would take a pro only 3.1 shots to get into the hole from, your drive has effectively gained 0.3 shots, because it hasmade the hole likely to take 4.1 shots rather than 4.4.

If your shot from 140 then ended up 60 feet away on the green well, from 60 feet it takes a pro 2.4 shots to hole out, so your predicted score has now moved to 4.5 your approach has lost you 0.4 strokes.

You 2 putt scoring a 4, in in effect gaining .5 of a stroke putting means in total on the hole you gained, .4 of a shot on the pro

Most stats would rate the hole as, fairwsy hit, gir, 2 putt regulation 4. Bang average. No info to improve.

Strokes gained however tells you you hit a great drive, an awful approach, and made a great 2 putt. So its clear where improvement is required.

Now obviously, a single hole can have so many intricate dealings that it needs to be worked out over more than one hole, (maybe the 300 yard drive didnt reach the dogleg and the 140 yard approach was a 60 yard draw onto a baked hard green etc etc) but after a number of holes ot quicklu becomes clear where most shots are being lost, and in effect where you need to address...
So if it’s a 340 yard hole it’s 3.4 strokes ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah okay is that known before the competition or derived after the competition?

its derived retrospectively for the pro events based on the data they get from shotlink which has all the proximity to hole data but there are some baseline numbersfor handicap golfers i think (though have never used them)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Thisbis after just 3 rounds with Archos Caddie.

My course HC is 11 (HI 10.3)

It's pretty much how I would rate each aspect of my game in order of ability from best to worst. I wouldn't describe my approach play as a 1 HC or my putting as a 23. But its not far off.
Screenshot_20210726_153804_com.arccosgolf.androidFlagship_edit_1712874297517280.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No evidence to back this up but I suspect a massive percentage of people who keep stats either don't know what to do with them or don't do anything with them.
It's useful information for the Pros as they have the people who can analyse the data and they have the time to work on what needs working on
I'm far from convinced that the majority of average golfers would benefit from knowing their SG driving drifts from +0.5 to -8.9 depending on which way the wind is blowing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing I have really checked after a round is my putts per round although these days I often count the number of putts I should have made and did not hole which is far better guide.

It does not necessarily tell me how well I putted because there will be several greens where I single putted because of a really good approach shot, chip or bunker shot.

D

Deleted member 16999

No evidence to back this up but I suspect a massive percentage of people who keep stats either don't know what to do with them or don't do anything with them.
It's useful information for the Pros as they have the people who can analyse the data and they have the time to work on what needs working on
I'm far from convinced that the majority of average golfers would benefit from knowing their SG driving drifts from +0.5 to -8.9 depending on which way the wind is blowing.
Yes and No, imo, I agree about the Pros having the people to analyse the data and the coach’s etc to implement the information, but I believe it can help us amateurs on a higher level, ie, rather than going to the range, getting 50 balls and hitting 50 Drives as that is what they believe is their weakest area, stats may show they’d be better off hitting 50 wedges or mid irons etc or even better, saving their money and going on the practise green for 30 minutes.

Absolutely the Pros need to be in the weeds when it comes to data, but maybe considering a more broader view it can help everyone.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's more important. GiR or number of putts?
To me there is a big inter-relationship between these two.
Not that I am counting. ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes and No, imo, I agree about the Pros having the people to analyse the data and the coach’s etc to implement the information, but I believe it can help us amateurs on a higher level, ie, rather than going to the range, getting 50 balls and hitting 50 Drives as that is what they believe is their weakest area, stats may show they’d be better off hitting 50 wedges or mid irons etc or even better, saving their money and going on the practise green for 30 minutes.

Absolutely the Pros need to be in the weeds when it comes to data, but maybe considering a more broader view it can help everyone.
Absolutely...but I do wonder how many actually do it...I wonder how many keep stats because it's the new cool thing to do:cool::unsure: