Start of downswing- hips or shoulders first?

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Read article recently about swinging 'over the top' which caused the familiar slice.
I then discovered they suggested to prevent this 'all arm' action to move hips first at the start of the backswing tyto ensure club comes on the inside.

Is this correct? Does anyone have any experience of trying to build this into their swing? Any tips or drills?

Cheers

(16 handicap)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lower body first followed by upper. Trigger can be left foot, left knee, left hip... Look at a pros super slo swing on t'internet and you'll see a subtle hip turn followed by a push off the ground to speed up the hip clearance. The shoulders are unwinding at this point.

Drills? Ask BobMac. :D

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. So would this apply to 3/4 swing or only full swing etc
It's like a eureka moment this.... Handicap should tumble :)
Cheers

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely the down swing from hips and lower body first. It's improved my swing no end

Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends.
From what I see, a lot of golfers try this and start the downswing with the lower half.
If not done properly, the legs start, which turns the hips which often turns the shoulders and throws the club to the outside.
I try and get my pupils to start everything down together
ie
what goes back goes back together...what comes down comes down together.
Keep it simple :)

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am watching European Tour at moment (too much snow to play today) and I have taken advice about looking at pro swing on slow mo (wife just told me on sky + you can use slow mo by keeping finger on pause- surely I should have known that and not the wife :)!!!!).

The pros definately start down swing with the hips. Quite amazed that this little fact has skipped me (I must have had 5-6 lessons since starting golf 4-5 years ago)

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bob

From what you've said am I right in assuming the takeaway is initiated with the hips, arms and shoulders moving in unision and releasing unision?

I've tried to analyse this and if I try to break the sequence of moves down it all goes pear shaped. If I swing naturally everything seems to fall into place however I have difficulty determining what leads what because as I start the down swing, the weight on my feet is transfering from right to left and my hips are uncoiling/moving forward all at the same time.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Go stand in a field, address an iron, swing it to the top then throw it underhand down the field. Whatever you did do the same when you hit the ball.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go stand in a field, address an iron, swing it to the top then throw it underhand down the field. Whatever you did do the same when you hit the ball.

Spot on ! Right hand takes it back right hand brings it through
Everything stays synced, and your accuracy is good and consistent

Swing with your hips, your legs and whilst you will hit some phenomenal shots, your accuracy will be far less consistent

I know teh majority on here will disagree, but to my mind, simple is best
Unfortunatley, however this simple and accurate technique doesnt allow me to hit 300 yard drives