Stapleford League for High-Handicappers

ChubbyArse

www.theshyteds.co.uk
Hi, there are about 8 of us in the office that play golf and are seeking to get a bit of competitivity into our "friendly" rounds.

We could use the Stapleford scoring, however we have differing abilities that the Stapleford scoring doesn't touch - as we would all take a 28 handicap. However, some are close to that, some are not - but we would want things to be competitive still amongst us.

Does anyone do something similar - and how do you score it? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

DCB

Visit site
:confused: Differing abilities have different handicaps. All that Stableford does is give you a scoring system that is a bit more suitable for the higher handicaps.

If everyone is off 28 your whole process is flawed :confused:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
just give yourself the right handicaps - you don't have to go to the Continent to get 36 in a friendly game, or 40, 46?

whatever

DCB

Visit site
Just give everyone a suitable handicap based on their ability then. It doesn't have to stop at 28 if it's just amongst yourselves. Just remember to try to manage the handicaps you issue as the season goes on and the games pass by.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can do pretty much what ever you want. Why not assign everyone a handicap that is felt would be suitable. Stableford format but offset points entitlement by one so it start at 1 point for a double bogey this would allow some of the less able golfers to at least feel they are scoring something.

Playing to handicap would be 54 points.

Winner gets cut of 1.
Anyone exceeding 58 points could have 2 shot cuts for next outing more if they massively exceed. (small buffer around the 54 to allow for inconsistency)
Anyone failing to exceed 50 could have 2 shots added, and then an addional 2 for every 5 points less than 45.

Play for kudos not prizes as it would be highly open to abuse. Would probably take a while to settle the handicaps as well.

Last edited:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
you could start everybody of 28, with the exception of anyone with a handicap, play for fun the first couple of times so you can work out a fair for all handicap allowance. winner gets cut 2 shots unless they shoot a below par round. after the initial handicaps are worked out add a shot for each player that scores under 25.

maybe have a nearest the pin for 50p per player, this can be carried over if not won, and have a system to raise money for charity at the same time, say 20p for every bunker a player enters.

on your third game have some prizes which would come out of funds raised in the previous games, for £25 each you can normally get a weekend game and coffee on a society rate, depending on how far you wish to travel

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I often think I need to play off 36 instead of 28 but my playing companions insist I wear a blonde wig and make up to qualify - and I'm worried I might get to like that:whistle:.

ChubbyArse

www.theshyteds.co.uk
Thanks to the helpful respondents - that's given us a good start. We had a round last night, so we'll use those scores to formulate a high handicap and work it from there.

Dodger, if you are being picky then you only need one question mark. However, profuse apologies for incorrect use of Stapleford. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Last edited:

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks to the helpful respondents - that's given us a good start. We had a round last night, so we'll use those scores to formulate a high handicap and work it from there.

Dodger, if you are being picky then you only need one question mark. However, profuse apologies for incorrect use of Stapleford. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

It just amazes me how many golfers think it is Staple not Stable......why? No-one ever calls a Medal a Mudal,why do so many golfers think it's name is Stapleford? :confused:

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm sure Dr Stableford will be chuffed than no one gets his name right!