Staked tree marked as internal out of bounds

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Besides the point that it was bad planning ...

Internal out of bounds down the left hand side of a par-4 to stop people driving on the adjacent fairway.
Most markers are white posts. One is a staked tree and the post has been painted white.

If you play the previous hole, then there is no OOB and the posts are movable obstructions and the staked tree is exactly that.

But when you play the actual hole, what happens if you finish right next to the OOB white staked tree? You get no relief from a OOB white post but would the staked tree situation take precedence here and give you relief?

This one has beaten me. And I was so determined to make sure it didn't happen today, that I stuck a 5-iron in the water hazard on the other side.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You say 'most' markers are white posts.

What are the others? I assume you mean posts but what colours?
What are they supposed to be indicating or identifying?

Taking a line through all the other white posts which are seemingly identifying the OOB line, is this tree 'stake'/post consistent with the line or does it stand alone? And if so, on which side of the OOB line is it.

I am tempted to suggest it is just an odd tree stake that happens to be white.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it's the situation that see from the OP, I'd suggest that rather than use one of the stakes of the staked tree a separate white stake is used and placed such that the tree and stakes is OOB for that hole. Seems just a case of someone using a 'convenient' stake without realising the consequences.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's the situation that see from the OP, I'd suggest that rather than use one of the stakes of the staked tree a separate white stake is used and placed such that the tree and stakes is OOB for that hole. Seems just a case of someone using a 'convenient' stake without realising the consequences.

agree

From there its a matter of committee resolution (during a comp use 3-3 but otherwise get them to sort it out (clarify) asap

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But when you play the actual hole, what happens if you finish right next to the OOB white staked tree? You get no relief from a OOB white post but would the staked tree situation take precedence here and give you relief?

A very good question.

The local rule giving relief for 'young trees in need of protection' does not say the tree is an Immovable Obstruction. It only says that relief must be taken according to the procedure in Rule 24-2.

The inference is that relief may be taken from the tree if it interferes but not from the stake alone (if it is an OOB stake). If however, the ball is so close to the stake, such that the ball cannot be played, no relief would be available.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks guys - food for thought indeed - outside of the fact that the person who made this situation didn't have a scooby-doo about the implications!