Stableford scoring.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Just wondering what the rule is regarding writing the score on your partners scorecard when they pick up and score no points in a monthly stableford game. I have been writing N.R. next to that score for a long time now but was told in a light hearted manner that this is not allowed and I should be putting a zero or a line in that space. Was told that N.R. only applies to medal games. Have I been doing it wrong all here years?

D

Deleted member 15344

Just wondering what the rule is regarding writing the score on your partners scorecard when they pick up and score no points in a monthly stableford game. I have been writing N.R. next to that score for a long time now but was told in a light hearted manner that this is not allowed and I should be putting a zero or a line in that space. Was told that N.R. only applies to medal games. Have I been doing it wrong all here years?

at the end of the day the only score that really matters on your scorecard is what you put in the gross score. If you want to put zero or NR in the points box on each hole then it doesn’t really matter. You are allowed too

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only requirement in the Rules is to enter the gross score for the hole, whether medal or stableford. There is no requirement to enter stableford points. If the hole is not completed, leave it blank, enter 0, /, x, NR or .......

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
.. I have been writing N.R. next to that score for a long time now but was told in a light hearted manner that this is not allowed and I should be putting a zero or a line in that space. Was told that N.R. only applies to medal games. Have I been doing it wrong all here years?
I do find it somewhat amusing that many folk who would otherwise query, or even remain silent about, procedures or situations in 'normal' life become somewhat authoritarian when playing golf! I've used 'NR', a Dash, or '*' to mark a 'blobbed' hole on Stableford comp cards for years and all forms have always been accepted. To me, 'NR' is actually the most legitimate/descriptive form when the player has picked up, but that's neither here nor there.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I put a 0 for no points with Stableford.

Rules harass me mercilessly.

Even something as simple as the number of clubs.

Rules say FOURTEEN.

My bag has FIFTEEN dividers counting the putter well.

There are SEVENTEEN clubs in my active arsenal (Not your football side) / (not including desperation putter alternatives)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Perhaps the 15th divider is for an umbrella?
No cart bags have an umbrella sleeve additionally.

Brits don't seem to be as familiar with cart bags. I assume that they're not as popular. Then again, they work on trolleys too. The original purpose was to make all pockets accessible from the front. From there, full-length dividers pretty much took over the genre.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brits don't seem to be as familiar with cart bags. I assume that they're not as popular.
Perhaps they have 15 slots because the manufactureres don't think that most Americans can count that high?

I'd love to know what my bag is I strap to my trolley each game, that has no carry straps and most of the pockets at the front.;)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
No cart bags have an umbrella sleeve additionally.

Brits don't seem to be as familiar with cart bags.
We Brits are perfectly familiar with cart bags.

My first ever cart bag (an Adams) had a separate putter well AND an umbrella well. I miss that umbrella well - it was so much more convenient than the stupid string and loop arrangement you get on bags these days. In fact that Adams bag was the dog's - it also had a full length rain cover that unzipped from a pocket at the base. Unfortunately after many years faithful service it just fell apart.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put a 0 for no points with Stableford.

Rules harass me mercilessly.

Even something as simple as the number of clubs.

Rules say FOURTEEN.

My bag has FIFTEEN dividers counting the putter well.

There are SEVENTEEN clubs in my active arsenal (Not your football side) / (not including desperation putter alternatives)

I'll always remember someone saying the club in the putter slot did not count as 1 of the 14 as it was not in the bag:eek:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
does this mean that if I have a bag with only a 3 way/6 way divider I am only allowed to carry 3/6 clubs

I didn't ask for that provision, but the way you gentlemen walk the course all the time, I can't imagine how you can manage more than that.
15-clubs are for riders; thus, the fourteen full-length dividers plus the putter well on many cart bags.

Failure to settle on fourteen is partly because of a reliance on one-trick-pony clubs. Most people just want two, a driver and a putter. I also lean on a driving iron that I can't hit from the fairway and a sand iron that I can't hit from the grass. No chipper, though. Although I did have a "Matzie Velvet Touch" chipper once. (You can Google it.)

I don't carry a ball-retriever because I'm not living hand-to-mouth anymore, now that I'm in my dotage. We have artificial water hazzards on American courses--man-made ponds and streams and the like--because we don't have many links courses where we can play along side the water. Seashore property is much too valuable for house lots.

Last edited: