Stableford Countback

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Had an interesting and possibly unusual situation recently in a 4BBB comp, two teams posted exactly the same score for a minor placing and on IG their back nine countback was exactly the same, so they asked how were they separated. I looked at it as per the recommendation in R&A Committee Procedures Section 5a(6)

If the tying players have the same score for the last round or if the competition consisted of a single round, determine the winner based on the score for the last nine holes, last six holes, last three holes and finally the 18th hole. If there is still a tie, then the last six holes, three holes and final hole of the first nine holes will be considered in turn

And the placings were not as per the front nine countback, the only way I could make it work as per was if it was decided on the front 3 holes so I asked the question of IG and their reply was:

The countback calculation on intelligentgolf will look at the back 9, back 6, back 3, back 1. If the scores are still tied within the competition then it will be down to the clubs to determine who they deem the winner. The system will just put them into player id order if they are still tied after countback.

Player ID Order, now thats going to take some explaining, anyone if other ISVs do the same?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Player ID Order, now thats going to take some explaining, anyone if other ISVs do the same?
I don't know but regardless of what other ISVs do or don't do, my inclination would be to ask why IG are not following the recommendation in R&A Committee Procedures Section 5a(6).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know but regardless of what other ISVs do or don't do, my inclination would be to ask why IG are not following the recommendation in R&A Committee Procedures Section 5a(6).
Good luck with that.
IG has a wonderful sales pitch and their phone app is pretty good, but their software leaves much to be desired.
Worst of all they seem completely resistant to suggestions that perhaps they might have overlooked something.

I'll give you two examples:
1. I asked them why they don't support better-ball bogey as a competition format. Their response? "We support the most popular formats". I suggested that since they claim to be the best out there, surely they should support ALL valid formats, but was met with silence.
2. It is impossible to set up an eclectic where the final positions are calculated using the players' handicaps on the date when the eclectic finishes. My suggestion that many clubs might want to do this was simply ignored.