St Andrews Trip

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's for Scottish residents who are SGU members, not just Scottish residents. I have an email from kingsbarns from a few months ago.

Well I've just booked for Saturday 15th April and there is no mention of CDH numbers, all they've asked is proof of residency like they have every other time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Disagree. Yes it is manufactured but not in the way many modern links like Castle Stuart or Trump are. Kingsbarns you have to remember was an existing course many years ago so most of the holes flow with the land especially down along the coast and only some appear manufactured to the land. I would liken the flow of Kingsbarns a bit like Dundonald, using the contours of the land to best affect. As to the challenge, medal white tees at around 6800 yards SSS 73 on a coastal links not a challenge? Do me a favour :rofl:

Kingsbarns is a top top course, surely all the golf rankings can't be wrong?

Point me to where I said it wasn't a top course?

Opinions differ, Kingsbarns while built on the site of an old course didn't simply reopen with the same layout. Earth was moved and they have cleverly used a small section of coast line to great effect. KB is more similar to Castle Stuart in design for me than Dundonald.

For me Dundonald works better and flows better. Visually it doesn't come close to KB.

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would skip the Eden / Strathtyrum - pretty easy course for beginners / novices

Plenty of other great courses around St Andrews - Elie, Kingsbarnes, etc

paulw4701

Club Champion
Visit site
The new and jubilee are cracking courses the castle is more of a fun course but a cracker and Kingsbarns at that price is a must found the dukes quite tough a good test of golf

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have ended up booking for The Castle Course, The Jubilee and The New Course

Get to play one each day from the Sunday to the Tuesday.

Will go back in the Summer and play Kingsbarns and The Dukes

Kingsbarns is only £20 extra to play in the Summer and the Dukes has a one off round for £30 all year round for SGU members so will give them a go later in the year

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Point me to where I said it wasn't a top course?

Opinions differ, Kingsbarns while built on the site of an old course didn't simply reopen with the same layout. Earth was moved and they have cleverly used a small section of coast line to great effect. KB is more similar to Castle Stuart in design for me than Dundonald.

For me Dundonald works better and flows better. Visually it doesn't come close to KB.

Dundonald works better? :rofl:

As much as i like Dundonald it's not a patch on Kingsbarns, not even close.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have ended up booking for The Castle Course, The Jubilee and The New Course

Get to play one each day from the Sunday to the Tuesday.

Will go back in the Summer and play Kingsbarns and The Dukes

Kingsbarns is only £20 extra to play in the Summer and the Dukes has a one off round for £30 all year round for SGU members so will give them a go later in the year

Good decision but to be honest with the courses you had you couldn't make a bad decision

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Disagree. Yes it is manufactured but not in the way many modern links like Castle Stuart or Trump are. Kingsbarns you have to remember was an existing course many years ago so most of the holes flow with the land especially down along the coast and only some appear manufactured to the land. I would liken the flow of Kingsbarns a bit like Dundonald, using the contours of the land to best affect. As to the challenge, medal white tees at around 6800 yards SSS 73 on a coastal links not a challenge? Do me a favour :rofl:

Kingsbarns is a top top course, surely all the golf rankings can't be wrong?

I think Jim would have the same opinion as we played together there. it was extremely windy so it was decided to play off the front mens tee, all the par 3 were a bit of a joke apart from the one over then sea. its was very short on some holes and was a bit samey with the shorts that had to be played

i didn't think the layout was a good as Castle Stuart TBh i was very disappointed, esp after looking forward to it for so long.

would give it another go but play off the further back tee's next time

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think Jim would have the same opinion as we played together there. it was extremely windy so it was decided to play off the front mens tee, all the par 3 were a bit of a joke apart from the one over then sea. its was very short on some holes and was a bit samey with the shorts that had to be played

i didn't think the layout was a good as Castle Stuart TBh i was very disappointed, esp after looking forward to it for so long.

would give it another go but play off the further back tee's next time

There is no danger off the tee at KB. You have to play it off the backs to get a better challenge.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok.

Sorry my opinion differs from yours but your obviously correct going by your wee emoticon.

That's correct, you are most definitely wrong with your opinion. In saying that, the man made dunes and view of the paper mill might swing it Dundonalds way.

You crack me up man, you never change :rofl: