St Andrews Trip

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going to St Andrews for 3 days in April and just trying to figure out what courses to play while I am there.

I am considering buying the 3 day unlimited golf ticket which would give me acccess to The New, Castle, Jubilee, Eden and Strathtrum courses.

Ideally I would like to fit in the 5 courses over the 3 days. I was hoping to play the Castle course on my final day so that would mean playing 2 rounds per day the previous couple of days.

Just wanted to get some input from anyone who has played the courses previously and would you recommend trying to fit in the 2 courses in to one day

My other option is to play The New Course, The Dukes and Kinsbarns which is going to cost me only slightly more than the £155 for the 3 day ticket I was originally looking at and obviously then I would have one round each day over the 3 days

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say get the 3 day ticket as the cost difference will be quite big as Kingsbarns is very steep. Then also sack off the Strath for an additional round on New/Jubilee, its just a bit bland imo. I haven't played the Castle so can't help in that regard

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going to St Andrews for 3 days in April and just trying to figure out what courses to play while I am there.

I am considering buying the 3 day unlimited golf ticket which would give me acccess to The New, Castle, Jubilee, Eden and Strathtrum courses.

Ideally I would like to fit in the 5 courses over the 3 days. I was hoping to play the Castle course on my final day so that would mean playing 2 rounds per day the previous couple of days.

Just wanted to get some input from anyone who has played the courses previously and would you recommend trying to fit in the 2 courses in to one day

My other option is to play The New Course, The Dukes and Kinsbarns which is going to cost me only slightly more than the £155 for the 3 day ticket I was originally looking at and obviously then I would have one round each day over the 3 days

Kingsbarns £100 for SGU members through April and the New £53, I think you can get an SGU special for £25 or £35

If you're not a Scottish resident you'll pay substantially more

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
can't comment on the Strath or Eden and never bothered, but the other 3 are all fantastic, the Jubilee being the hardest of the St Andrews courses. The 3 are a must play.

Kingsbarns was a bit of a disappointment TBH, if you do play it do so off the back tee's, its a much better test than the front.

Not played the castle but one of my friends who is an R&A member loves it as he says its fun, and plays it every time he visits

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's the first time I have ever heard someone say Kingsbarns was a disappointment. I've not played there but I know a lot who have and they all said it was fantastic.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kingsbarns £100 for SGU members through April and the New £53, I think you can get an SGU special for £25 or £35

If you're not a Scottish resident you'll pay substantially more

Val, where did you see the offer about Kingsbarns? I've checked both the SGU and kingsbarns website and can't see the offer anywhere.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you can get deals for Kingsbarns/Dukes/Castle then I would go for them.

Kingsbarns is fantastic, the Dukes is a strong test (very long if you play it off any of the back tees) and the Castle is very marmite but let's say 'interesting'. Some of the greens can make even a good putter look silly but if it's just a holiday round of golf then I wouldn't worry about that.

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Val, where did you see the offer about Kingsbarns? I've checked both the SGU and kingsbarns website and can't see the offer anywhere.

I don't think the offer is through the Scottish Golf Union. It is a price Kingsbarns offer to Scottish residents and it is not advertised. You will need to contact them directly and see if they could offer you the reduced rate the date you are looking to play

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Kingsbarns is fantastic, the Dukes is a strong test (very long if you play it off any of the back tees) and the Castle is very marmite but let's say 'interesting'. Some of the greens can make even a good putter look silly but if it's just a holiday round of golf then I wouldn't worry about that.

Best rate I can seem to find for the Castle course is £84 in April. The Dukes offer a one off round of £30 to SGU members. Actual price is £65 for April I think

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It's a well know fact that KB offer Scottish Residents discount, that £100 fee came from KB directly. £100 april and £120 May onwards, it's effectively half price.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Ive said about the Castle that people need to flag hunt rather than aim for the green. If you play to the approriate parts of the greens then you'll have no issues, if you play just for greens then you could have some intresting putts, all part of the fun. Kingsbarns has a few undulating greens too.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Kingsbarns is very "false" as a golf course, it really didn't flow brilliantly and you can tell it's been manufactured to fit into the land. A course should flow in harmony with the land.

Like Patrick said earlier it's not even a great challenge. You do have to go off the tips to get the real Kingsbarns.

If you can get it for £100 and its a bucket list course for you then consider it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would go for the package that includes Kingsbarns. Kingsbarns is normally £200 in April. I imagine you could pay a relatively small green fee to play the Eden as well. The New and Eden on one day would work. Jubilee is a lovely course, but tough. New course is a beauty, and a definite must play.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a well know fact that KB offer Scottish Residents discount, that £100 fee came from KB directly. £100 april and £120 May onwards, it's effectively half price.

Ahh I see, so as long as you live in Scotland you could get the discount if they have availability on the day you want. I'll have to keep that in mind, really want to play Kingsbarns but it is quite expensive for me for 1 round.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't play the Dukes at that time of year far to early before its decent normally the end of May before the greens are decent

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Scottish residents/club members get 50% of at kingsbarns, you need to provide a CDH number to get it. You can also only book 3 weeks in advance using the discount. They might let you book further in advance for April as they aren't that busy.
The castle is a good course IMO, the dukes will probably be quite soggy in April.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Scottish residents/club members get 50% of at kingsbarns, you need to provide a CDH number to get it. You can also only book 3 weeks in advance using the discount. They might let you book further in advance for April as they aren't that busy.
The castle is a good course IMO, the dukes will probably be quite soggy in April.

You don't as its residents rather than members. You may be asked for proof of residence though (driving licence or utility bill).

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kingsbarns is very "false" as a golf course, it really didn't flow brilliantly and you can tell it's been manufactured to fit into the land. A course should flow in harmony with the land.

Like Patrick said earlier it's not even a great challenge. You do have to go off the tips to get the real Kingsbarns.

If you can get it for £100 and its a bucket list course for you then consider it.

Disagree. Yes it is manufactured but not in the way many modern links like Castle Stuart or Trump are. Kingsbarns you have to remember was an existing course many years ago so most of the holes flow with the land especially down along the coast and only some appear manufactured to the land. I would liken the flow of Kingsbarns a bit like Dundonald, using the contours of the land to best affect. As to the challenge, medal white tees at around 6800 yards SSS 73 on a coastal links not a challenge? Do me a favour :rofl:

Kingsbarns is a top top course, surely all the golf rankings can't be wrong?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You don't as its residents rather than members. You may be asked for proof of residence though (driving licence or utility bill).

It's for Scottish residents who are SGU members, not just Scottish residents. I have an email from kingsbarns from a few months ago.